AWESOME Mixer GUI

+2

My biggest complaint by far is that disabled tracks STILL show up & clutter the mixer. (not really a GUI thing, though)

just got it for reaper. makes reaper feel a lot more expensive and professional. so yes, i’d like a less cluttered cubase mixer gui as well. doesn’t have to look like an ssl or anything. just get rid of all the pointless piping round the edges… ed

+1 for the new mixer GUI. Actually, a new GUI all together. And skinnable.
Say what you will about this exact mixer GUI, but what I’ve realized over the years is that a nice interface is much more than just easier on the eyes. It’s inspirational as well. And compared to the competition, cubase is still a far cry when it comes to GUI design. flexibility and customization (reaper/studio one/etc.).
How many times did you look at an ugly new plugin GUI and thought; “Nah… that prolly sounds cheap as it looks”? I know I have.
And even if not, I doubt anyone here would object to a nicer, skinnable, more customizable GUI. As long as it could be reset to the original, for all the “old school” users.
Unfortunately, if Steinberg’s track record is anything to go by, and looking at products such as wavelab 7 (windows 3.1 anyone? :smiley: ), It would appear they’re missing a decent GUI designer… :mrgreen:

Trust your ears, not your eyes!!!
(no kiddin´)

:mrgreen:

erm… I want to know what the users of Abelton Live (ugliest DAW in the world! IMHO) think about this Repair-GUI.

+1

Well said, Ableton is one ugly DAW, it has many users/followers though

trust your ears not your eyes is wise words.

Having said that, I completely understand people wanting software to look proffessional, slick, whatever you want to call it. And it’s the screenshots in magazines and tutorial videos online helping to sell the software to new users. Lets not forget new users haven’t really got anything other than looks to go by.

+1 avoidance of ugly plug ins, totally agree (cant get it to look good can they be trusted to make it sound good?) … apart from Quadrafuzz, …its one plug in that proves looks arent everything :wink:

would you eat a lovely meal if it looked like sheat? (anticipating censor)
humans base their impressions eyes first.
something has to look good before we touch it!
gui has to be clear and attractive.
i mix with my ears, but it is my eyes and hands that have to make the changes happen.
i like voxengo plugins, but they are mostly ugly. the designer has been told this by many users but is reluctant to change. that is the reason they aren’t as popular as uad or waves etc.
cubase could do with a revamp. i really like the arrange page. but the mixer is ugly.
i don’t need a skin-able mixer. just one that doesn’t have extra lines around sections that simply confuse the eyes. maybe have options to lighten or darken or change colour, like in sonar.
simples!

You can lighten and darken and change color. No? Maybe it doesn’t have the level of flexibility you’d like?

The only reason I would buy a new version based on GUI improvement…is if the whole GUI is drawn by the GPU so that I could actually USE the built in tools that are already there. But, at this point, I’ve bought third party software that DOES, so…really neither here not there for me. But, if they want to actually improve the GUI, there’s code to be written before you change the LOOK of it at all.

Actually, I like Indian food. Yummy. Spicy. And looks like…umm…what he said. :wink:

Waves and IK and others don’t sell because they have better looking GUIs. It’s because their GUIs, and stated intent is to model specific analog gear. The irony is that a lot of times, they emulate the limitations without the magic…but, that’s why they sell. Everyone’s heard OF a Pultec…they know what the real ones are used for…as far as I know Vox doesn’t have a component model of a Pultec. They MAY have a great sounding over sampled EQ that is also good as adding air to a track…but, THAT is their challenge.

People know a U67+Neve pre+Pultec=gorgeous vocals they’re familiar with. So, despite the fact that a nice dynamic and starved tube preamp will get them closer to that sound than a Chinese Tube LDC and ISA preamp will…they are attached to the specific units. Despite a BluesJr and a decent dirt pedal does a better “rock guitar” than a modelled Plexi and the DI on their interface does…they still buy the modelling software.

Digressing from topic…but, Vox’s challenge isn’t getting a prettier GUI. Unless they’re willing to dumb down controls and claim (rightfully or not) being modelled after standard hardware…they won’t sell the mass numbers.

I had a client a while back that was a lead for the development team at a very well known corporation and we talked about this very subject once. He was of the opinion that the GUI has a large affect on our psyche - which has a direct effect on our performance. He also noted that in certain applications where “artistic” creativity was a key component and the user spends a lot of time interacting with the interface, it is essential to have a comfortable and inspiring environment in which to work.

We agreed it was a lot like the physical room you would work in and sometimes just as important.

I hate change lol

My 2 cents : That mixer GUI looks okay,but reminds me of when I checked out ProTools,and how dissapointed I was at the graphics after being with Cubase through its versions…

I think Ableton looks good.Just doesnt look like your typical DAW—but its sharp looking to me… :sunglasses:
If you want fugly,just look at Logic/Garageband… dumbed down graphics IMO…

Anyway,I still think Cubase looks the best… again just my thoughts… :slight_smile:

Hey Cent…
it´s interesting that whenever I talk to someone about their Ableton look they find it absolutly great. Tastes are VERY VERY different obviously… :laughing: Most ugly in the world for me also…

I think that the best aesthetic for a DAW is one that is pleasing but uncluttered. Yes visuals can affect creativity and when applied with the proper workflow you have success. Not to be overly critical but I think Cubase could unclutter somewhat. It’s an amazing DAW and my favorite but I think improvements in window management and a few less clicks/key commands to get the job done would be nice :slight_smile:

I much prefer the look of Cubase mixer actually. I can tell what plugins are where, and see the send levels without squinting my eyes. That Reaper theme - the overall look is nice, but the info I need to get my work done is not at all easy to see. Choice of font sizes and colour contrast is very poor, and some things that can be small are too big for no reason while the ones that need to be big are too small. It’s nice as a .jpg, but not for working.

• 1 !
    That´s an absolutely correct statement Yutaka, well said!
    Thank you.

I would agree the GUI is very important for those of us looking at the screen in afull time manner :wink: I am happy with the look of Cubase and the mixer is laid out very well and easy to see . But it would be nice to see a more 3D modelled look around a hardware console . The white tie layout looks great . I think with that look and Cubases mixer functions it would be a great pairing .

Wow, thanks for that OP. My mixer feels so–bare. :blush:

In all honesty this is an argument that will never be ended, and moreover one Steinberg cannot hope to win.
Whatever they do, there will be those who love it, those who are utterly indifferent & those who hate it.
It is simply not possible to please everyone.

Well said, but making it modular and customizable to a much greater extent would be appease the majority.