Bach Keyboard Projects

That’s a laudable effort, Mike! I remember contributing to the Goldberg Variation thread you mention and I still happen to have those files, consisting of the aria and the first five variations, which were all created in v. 1. I just converted them to version 3.5.10 and am including them here. I haven’t updated the Engraving Options, though.

BTW, I usually agree about conversion from MIDI files and preferring to enter the music myself but, depending on your import settings, Dorico can actually do this quite well. Looking back at these old files made me realise what Dorico v. 1 was already able to do. For example, take a look at variation 5. At the end of the first half there needs to be a transition to treble clef in the LH, but it applies only when continuing to the second half and not when repeating. Dorico cleverly and correctly places the cautionary clef after the repeat. The difficult note spacing due to the voices of the contrapuntal lines is also dealt well with by Dorico.
Goldberg aria.dorico (411.3 KB) Goldberg var 1.dorico (498.9 KB) Goldberg var 2.dorico (395.4 KB) Goldberg var 3.dorico (502.6 KB) Goldberg var 4.dorico (480.6 KB) Goldberg var 5.dorico (402.2 KB)

7 Likes