backup for transfer?

Hope this isn’t a stupid question, but my friend wants to mix a co-project we wrote, only he uses Logic. When I backed up our project, and he opened it in Logic, every .WAV shows up as an individual tracks, starting at zero. I am sure there is a simple fix for this, I just can’t seem to find it. Any info?

and he opened it in Logic

Just to be clear he didn’t open it in Logic…what he did was import the audio files.

You’ll need to use export audio mixdown/batch export to create audio files that do start at the same point so when he imports them they sync up correctly.

In PT you can “consolidate” the files before export - there’s is no such facility in Cubase, so you need to manually reference all your tracks to zero, and this is usually done by extending your parts (or adding empty filler) on each track back to zero (or the preceding part). This way when the wav file is imported into another DAW, the tracks will sync properly.

Wrong… There is a consolidate solution, it’s called bounce selection on the Audio menu…

This is exactly what I do when I need to send a project.

I am curious, ‘Bounce Selection’ does not make an event or channel start at locator. Not for me anyway.

I believe the OP was looking to get all tracks to start from the same point.

Or did I misread?

Hi jimmys69,

if you use the Range tool and select your event + the empty portion of the track all the way to the start point and then select “Bounce selection”, it works as Sonik and Distante posted.

Regards

i did cooperate successfully with logic user several times with OMF files…
he exported from logic to OMF sent it to me via dropbox and i imported the OMF file to cubase. this way its should be smaller in size(especially if sending via internet) compared to all starts from zero even for some little bell or whatever that placed in end of the song.

*** of course OMF is only for audio track/events

i used to do this myself few years ago and it was a PITA until i discovered the range tool can do that and many more…now i use the range tool in general more efficiently then the select tool i used to work with to edit for everything

Discovering the joys of the range tool has improved things no end for me too.

Agree with OMF suggestion - works simply and easy enough.

Hi All

I also agree with the OMF Solution, I used Logic for many years and still have loads of archived Logic projects and every so often have to import them. Using OMF and then also exporting the MIDI from Logic and importing into Cubase, this also keeps all the tempo data, one has to mess around getting the intruments right (hopefully well labelled)but it does work pretty well.

Best Regards

Dave

My bad. I’ve been primarily preoccupied with mixdown (export) and must admit I’ve not used bounce apart from from midi tracks. I’ll have to look into bouncing audio in more depth.
I was under the impression that bouncing doesn’t include plugin processing, is that correct?

Awesome! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Yes, after a little experimentation, I can concur bouncing with the range select works, but for the job at hand, I still find Batch exporting all tracks more intuitive and easier. In regard to MIDI, pure midi (ext instrument) would at any rate have to be bounced first (real-time), VST Instruments not necessarily. Sends to FX tracks would have to be considered, or ignored as the case may be.

Just a note that if you use Broadcast Wav file format that then the position of the wav on the timline is encoded into the WAV file. I use this very frequently to position imported wavs in ProTools. Saves me exporting from the start of the project and thus reduces file size. You can use this file format by changing the project settings (Shift-S) before you bounce. Or if you’ve got bounced files already then I think you can use an option in the Pool to ‘conform’ the files, but I can’t quite remember how to do this one off the top of my head! I use the Broadcast Wav format as a default. One caveat is that if you move the audio clip then it doesn’t change the timcode in the wav, you’d have to bounce again to re-encode it.

Mike.