Backup Now, no Really

Yup. I think it can also deal with dynamic IPs. Haven’t tried it yet, I just use the online service option.

Paragon’s not pretty, but it works and is quick to backup (typing on the image it created right now).

I also have Macrium Reflect free edition, but haven’t tested it much yet.

“Just because” is part of it…it’s a matter of point, and that isn’t a bad idea. I used to have my 1st original DAW connected to the internet some years back, and got my share of bugs in those days. When you stick to this rule, and know the tested software that you’re using never causes you any problems, the only things to worry about are failures.

Although my hardware & software are considered dated, it’s not so dated that it doesn’t fully work for me, sound as good as most anything currently available, yet dated enough that it doesn’t suffer from many of the things that I despise about the world of DAW’s. That said, I have no plans to update/buy anything that will put me into a position that forces me on-line. If this means staying behind, and be known as a dying breed, that’s fine.

The free edition is really only good for making “images” of data, as opposed to sectors and you can end up with a 50gb file that you can then upload to your cloud storage for extra safety but alas I cannot undertake this extra step due to my only having wireless broadband so therefore I just make an Image now and then as a precaution that if I needed to re-install from scratch, I could likely access my files without having to re-download them over and again; considering that out of the 50 or so gigs that my system drive produces, there is under 5g of actual data with a lot of it DAW installers and so on.

In the case of ransomware, there is no way to combat it otherwise than by taking copies (hence versioning), images (again versioning) and if not caught in time, even this “method” of system recovery using OneDrive or equivalent is not safe.

The only real way I suppose is to stop it before it gets in but it is particularly insidious and I guess is for another discussion.

Just because…means to avoid the OP’s problem :wink:

I read an interview with Tom Petty’s engineer in one of the latest SOS magazines. He had FROZEN his system in 2006/07 (the same did Tom himself).
He were fed up on the always updating/moving/changing nature of the computer/software world. A really GREAT concept IMO.
And after I have done some research on the matter (my studio needs), I will take the same approach.

For system backup/image I use Paragon. Works great IMO.

I know to back up (create those proprietary files in Paragon) after every session.

But what are people’s thoughts on how much it should take to trigger making a bit-for-bit clone? For example, before each weekly Windows update? Before installing a new UAD plug-in? Every ‘X’ days just because?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Macrium Reflect allows for images, and while not bit-for-bit I believe can used to restore a full system.

It is quite rare that Windows updates will cause issues or even drivers for that matter; it is mainly about some “app” or program installed.

Many will say not to put your computer on the internet but I do not subscribe to this antiquated point of view as it is more about the OS and which programs you actually install.

I keep a dated log of what I’ve updated or changed since my last bit-for-bit bootable backup.

For me it’s simply, when enough changes I’d need to perform on the bootable backup, to get to current, induces a “groan” even thinking about.

I’ve found this to be about a dozen items (a dozen plugin updates).

And then I always make a bootable clone right before a major release (e.g., Cubase 8).

If three months go by, but there haven’t been much plugin updates happening, then I’m cool with not doing another backup.

In fact, the advantage to this is that it’s even safer. Because in the event something unknown, but lurking, happened between my last image and current, I wouldn’t want to unnecessarily capture it.

So wait as long as possible within your confort level of recreating the steps to get to current.

And if you keep a log, make sure it’s not on the drive in question. :smiley:

Here’s an example of my most recent “logs” (what I had to recreate):

Changes to DAW1 since it was backed up on 2014.12.22 to “DAW1 BACKUP1” (the currently most recent backup):

2014.12.24 Updated Meldaproduction plugins to v8.10; Updated Valhalla DSP Valhalla Vintage Verb to v1.5.0; Arturia V Collection, installed / Updated to the V4 Collection; Installed latest eLicenser

2014.12.26 Installed Vengeance VPS Scope (Free X-Mas Gift, requires 1 Vengeance product to be found)

I’ve had this list get pretty long, this was such a recent backup that it was easy to recreate the steps to get to current.

Keeping logs like this helps in judging what would be too much of a pain to recreate.

Thank you, gentlemen!

Another thing I was wondering about maybe you can help clarify please …

The SECOND time you make a bit-for-bit clone … I guess you have to erase the clone you made a few weeks/months prior, so for that brief period of time there is no clone anywhere …

Is that OK in your minds … or do you maybe have a 3rd disk (being the 2nd backup disk) that you rotate?

Thanks -

I’ve always had 3 backups in different places, but my DAW’s have never, ever, been on the net, and I only experiment on a non-critical test DAW for anything new.

Thanks, I’m asking about bit-for-bit cloning, is that what you mean when you say you have 3 backups?

Thanks -

I’m okay with that risk, as it’s insanely low. Basically, the 10 minutes it takes to clone, there would have to be more than even a power failure to harm the source SSD, there would have to be some kind of massive power surge or lightning strike, etc. Even then, I would not be surprised if it survived. Mainboards and power supplies are getting really high tech with how they deal with power spikes.

I would consider (and am considering) a 3rd disk for a different reason: Having a backup captured at 2x intervals. Basically every other clone, you clone the 3rd disk. That way, if some trojan is sleeping and awakens, you’ve got a backup that is likely old enough to be untouched.

My approach too.

I have three test systems atm, Win 7 and Win 8.1 on two desktops and one laptop. If you are running a business it is critical to have a test DAW IMO.

And it’s also important to keep “out of house” copies of all your systems, and client data.

That’s why I use cloud in the first instance, to at least backup my project files and other office related data.

SB should offer a full cloud (paid) service for mission critical data and installation settings however this is not to say that imaging doesn’t have a place, as obviously it saves time reinstalling.

Hi Everybody, please welcome me to the backup club, the crowd goes wild.

I bought a nice big SSD and “cloned” my C: drive to that using Paragon 14. I know I should have another one done also, and I should keep it outside of the house rather than just upstairs, but hey, it’s a start!

Also, I’ve now started after every session bringing all my new files over to an external drive via the “Super USB 2” or whatever it is (it might actually be USB-3, I’m not quite sure)… I use SyncBack Free. I like that the files are on the external drive exactly as they were created in my rig, not some “_arc” proprietary archive format that Paragon uses. So I don’t always have to wonder if the “_arc” archive files will really be decoded if needed. It’s nice also that it compares the two drives, and only brings the “differences” across to the external drive.

I do feel much better about all this, thanks for the constant reminders!