Backup time :)

Have you goodly peeps backed up yet? I just did. Took around 20 minutes :sunglasses:

Cheers
Phil

Does that include the new 1TB hd ? :slight_smile: :teef:

Your almost getting fanatical with your monthly reminder Phil, good on ya, keep it up :sunglasses:

Some people are probably still like you used to be and will regret not backing up !

Will do next week, cheers :slight_smile:

It does indeed include my 1tb backup drive. Even got projects on CD and DVD :smiley:
The odds of someone having problems here are not remote. Stroph, today is next week :laughing: Iā€™ve lost whole albums due to not backing up. Ainā€™t gonna happen again :sunglasses:

Happy computing folks :nerd:

MaƱana, baƱana.

20 Min?!?!?!?!?! :confused:

Mine usually takes a minimum of 4 hours.

:open_mouth: Thatā€™s a lot of projects Tom :open_mouth:

I was going to ask the same thing about your 20 min Phil but thought Iā€™d wait and see if someone else noticed and Tom did :laughing:

Are you backing up everything including the OS etc ?

I suspect you were just backing up Projects which makes more sense to me, as I usually have a disk image of the OS drive which rarely changes so I only backup the Project drives.

Then again, maybe Tom is backing up to floppies :mrgreen:

Iā€™ve been looking for some NOS 5 1/4" floppy disks for just that purpose. Theyā€™re getting harder and harder to source. :wink:

:laughing:

That is just one project drive full backup image. I have the OS done like Paul and mine hasnā€™t changed so I image that much less frequently.

I do have a question for those that use Acronis true image:

The last backup I did was last week and the backup seemed to be created fine, but when I go to verify the image, it keeps throwing an error. This is doing a full drive image, not an incremental. This drive has a lot of different client projects on it.

Now, when I do the individual client project backup images with a file structure like this:
ā€œe:/Client nameā€ which within that are all the individual folders for songs and a main project folder that has the main album tracking before it is consolidated to the separate song folders: ā€œSongname_mixā€, the backup and verification works fine.

I canā€™t seem to figure out what is going on. Why does it throw a validation error when I do the entire drive and not when I do the individual client folders? It only fails on the verification.

Any ideas?

Gawd no, I donā€™t give a crap about all that other stuff :laughing: Tunes take priority :sunglasses:
Artwork and downloads Iā€™ve bought already backed up to DVD and external drive.

Bump. Just did a backup. Got a bit freaked when we had 3 power cuts inside a week :open_mouth:
Thought it best :sunglasses:

Backed up as well today, set up a scheduled backup for every Sunday now, and a monthly new image of the harddrive.

:sunglasses:

I was in fact thinking of bumping this topic reminding everyone else to do the same because I hadnā€™t seen you do it in a while. Great minds think alike :sunglasses:

I think Iā€™m missing something on the backup thing here. These days 1.5TB external drives are $80. Any of these have backup programs that once youā€™re initially loaded ,automatically update whats needs to be backed up.I have 2 and plug in one or the other every few days . A 1.5 tb drive is equivalent to 187 dual dvdā€™s or twice that for single layer making dvdā€™s way costlier,not to mention theyre a write once medium that will fail over the years (my experience anyway)

Anyway why the use of dvdā€™s or less than weekly backups? Not being wise ,seriously asking what Iā€™m missing.

JMO, but DVD, and probably CD-R, are worthless in terms of back-up reliability

I think the only reliable and sensible backup anymore is off-line back-up. DVD and CD-R back-up is unreliable. An external drive will burn up just as readily as your main drive in a fire. Off-site off-line backup is relatively inexpensive and reliable.

Offline is just as dangerous I would have thought Doug, anyone can have a power failure, an EMP from nowhere has no prejudice. Up to you guys how you back up, I back up all projects to an external hard drive, occasionally do a DVD backup for projects Iā€™m working on or those Iā€™m gonna shelve for a while. If Iā€™ve done anything in Reason, for example, itā€™s easier to plonk those on DVD as theyā€™re very small files, non-WAVs. Cubase projects get the hard drive treatment out of necessity. When a Cubase project is completed, I clear out the unused files and put the project on DVD as well. Label accordingly, and put in a safe place. Makes sense to me, YMMV :sunglasses:

Just backed up some projects and ZIPs. Ages since I backed up, sure it was later than August. Canā€™t be sure so just as well :sunglasses:

Be safe there peeps, just read about a guy that lost 4 years-worth of work :open_mouth: