Backups - Where do they go?

I have a few questions about Dorico backup.
I’ve long been finding Dorico slow. But then I remembered that when I first moved Cubase to this machine, I found Cubase very slow too. Then I discovered that it was backing-up to my Documents folder which was backing everything up to cloud storage on OneDrive. So that explained it. I moved Cubase back-up straight to the SSD. Then everything was nice and fast again. So…
I checked my Dorico Backups folder. Sure enough it was in the same cloud storage Documents folder > Dorico Projects. So now two questions:

1. Dorico Back-ups. How can I reassign the back-up location.
  2. Auto back-ups. are even more mysterious. But they are also slow and I suspect they are backing up to the same cloud location. I understand from this post Dorico’s Auto Backup - please explain that someone knows the location on Mac. And I understand that the auto back-up folder is kept well out of site. But I’d be grateful if someone could tell me the PC location of autosave to get Dorico working at what should be its correct speed.

Thanks @Alberto_Maria
That’s very helpful. Now I can be sure where the backups are going.
But what about the autosaves?

As you can see from my screenshot, I don’t use autosave. I prefer C+S when necessary. But I presume autosaves go exactly in the backup folder. The time employed should be the same needed for a normal save… afaIk…

That’s not where the AutoSaves go. That would be %appdata%\Steinberg\Dorico 4\something-or-other (sorry, I’m on Mac so can’t verify the end of the folder name).

It’s hard coded into the preferences.xml file stored in roughly the same place.

%AppData%\Roaming\Steinberg\Dorico 4\AutoSave

Thanks to @pianoleo & @ebrooks ! Nice to know! :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone. I think it’s like I suspected. Both the Backup and the Autosaves are linking to my big OneDrive and saving to the cloud. That’s why it’s running slow. I’ve fixed the Backup. Now much faster. The autosaves will be trickier. But I’ll find a way.
@Alberto_Maria, C+S? Is that Ctrl+Save?

1. Close Dorico.
  2. Follow the path that ebrooks listed, minus the AutoSave bit at the end.
  3. Open preferences.xml from that folder in a good text editor, search the file for AutoSave and replace the existing OneDrive path with a more sensible one (noting that Dorico will wipe that folder each time you successfully close it - this folder must therefore not be used for anything aside from Dorico AutoSaves.
  4. Save and close.

Yes David, or Command+S on Mac…

Thank you, everyone for your really useful tips. Fantastic. My Dorico is finally moving at the kind of speed I think it is meant to.
Wishing you all a good night/evening/day.

1 Like