Bad tie playback

The second note of the tie will not play unless I start playback at it (i.e. from the 24th bar).

The note plays fine if I untie it, or if I slur it.

By play, do I understand you to mean the tied-to note does not continue to sound?
(Otherwise it would not make sense coming from someone with your musical experience.)

What instrument is this? That could have an effect depending which sample is being rendered. (Harpsichord, for instance, would die out by that point, practically speaking, if it was a slower tempo.)

He probably means that it is rearticulated.

Are those two parts of the tie in different voices?

Correct, playback of that voice ceases after the first dotted half-note.

Violin ensemble.

No. It plays no sound at all.

No, the tied notes occupy the same voice, though of course they’re separate from the second voice that plays back the lower notes of the divisi.

Correct, playback of that voice ceases after the first dotted half-note.

Violin ensemble.

No. It plays no sound at all.

No, the tied notes occupy the same voice, though of course they’re separate from the second voice that plays back the lower notes of the divisi.

Chuckle Funny thing, I rendered the music to an audio file so that any of you could hear what playback is doing, but the exported playback is even worse. The dotted half notes of both voices at the beginning of the 23rd bar play not as written, but as quarter notes. Playback isn’t respecting the slur into the dotted half note on the lower voice, either.

The legato notes in bar 24 are cutting off the tied note. You can’t have independent voices on the same MIDI channel with different playback techniques.

Now that he mentioned that this is a Violin ensemble, and not a keyboard instrument, this makes the most sense.

Thanks, dbudde. That also explains why slurring the notes instead of tying them resolves the problem.