Ball To The Wall

Thanks for the kind comments, Strophoid!

Great playing guys. Snare isn’t right for this stylee, needs to be more pointy as opposed to tubby. Apart from that, really good stuff from the Incontinentals :sunglasses:
Cheers
Phil

the strat was perfect, to me it has a little more meat to it and it changes its mood with very little effort.
its a great arrangement

Thanks, Phil. This isn’t the whole band yet, just me. Hopefully they’ll give it a go. Seems the snare observations are shared by all. Thanks again for the feedback.

OK, I’ve done what I could with the snare. It should be an improvement I think, but let’s see what you all think. I’m not sure I can get it much better with Superior unless I get different samples, I guess. I start to wonder if the reference material I’m a/b-ing with isn’t some sample I couldn’t get hold of! I certainly can hear the sound I wish I could get.

Nah, that snare is still tub-o’-lard. :frowning:
Can’t you just un-tubby it? :confused:

Truly appreciate your taking the time to feed back. I can’t seem to find the Tubby switch in Superior Drummer! Anyway, I took another “crack” at it today, and put up a new version. In this one, I increased the velocity overall on the hits and played a little with the reverb on the snare. I also switched from a muted snare hit to a center snare hit, it’s a little brighter and equally crisp at high velocity samples. I think it’s better… I’m using the transient shaper in Superior to bring out the snap. Could turn that up further, but it starts to sound just like a click instead of a snare.
Thanks again.

Hi

Very high quality.

I must say that I have missed having time to properly check out the music here the last few months.

Cheers

Dave, thanks for stopping in to listen!
Early

For anyone interested, new version is up with complete remix based on new NI Studio Drummer. People seem to know how to get good sounds out of Superior, just not me. Spent too long fooling around with it before giving up. NI SD came with the Komplete upgrade, so I bought it. The drums sound a lot better to me, and come with useful presets. It has its own high quality effects and mixer, so you just work on the drums there instead of in Cubase. That makes it easier to work with. Bit of a CPU hog, though. I ended up spending hours remixing the whole thing. You can find it in the same place, 2nd one down:

Sounds great Early!
Great job.
J.L.

:laughing: that made me chuckle, I found the soupy switch :laughing:
friggin excellent early, thats a great track mate, really cool. sounds perfect to me. if I could offer one thought if you don’t mind, I would’ve let that last note ring a little bit longer.
ahh crap, not a member so I can’t download it, would love to have that tune for the cottage

Thanks, JL, Ian, and Bob, for giving it another listen. I’ll take your comments as confirmation that the new drums are better.

Bob, I didn’t realize you had to be a SoundClick member to download. I’ve stayed over there because I think the encoding is reasonable, and it’s easy to get to. Others are using Bandcamp and SoundCloud; have heard complaints about the encoding in both those places.

But in any case, anybody who wants an mp3 directly, just pm me, anybody can have it. Nobody’s ever going to buy this stuff!

I wouldn’t touch the drums lol. I think composition and playing are tremendous and in in my humble opinion the mix might be fixed by working with lowering a couple of instruments volume. For example the Rhodes in certain cord parts (?) and during gtr solo’s in right speaker fights with guitar for space (hope I am saying this right). Try 4db rule and lower volume there. also roll off some of the low end on it (?) and maybe cut around 60 on bass so the bass drum pops out a little more??? In Jazz and fusion, to me, unlike pop and rock the drums are not the center of mix…

Killer playing!!! Gtr and keys!!! You guys are the Bomb

Excellent tune. For some reason I don’t remember listening to the original version of this so I don’t have any reference to compare the new drums with. I know that this version sounds mighty fine, though.

I’ve always just used Superior Drummer on an instrument track and used the SD mixer. I’ll usually find a preset that is somewhere close to the general sound I’m looking for and tweak it from there. I’ll swap out different drums and cymbals as the track is playing to find the best fit. My favorite sounds are usually in the Custom and Vintage SDX but on my “Jive Turkey” tune I used the Avatar kit. A little EQ and compression in the first two track inserts and quite often a brickwall limiter in the last insert just to tame the absolute peaks and I’m pretty much there. Just something to try in case you give it another shot sometime. I certainly don’t know the “correct” way to go about anything but that basic starting point has been working pretty well for me.

Scott

Thanks for listening. Appreciate the suggestions. Just for my clarity, what is “4db rule”? I’m completely untrained on mixing!

Hi Scott, thanks for the comments. Maybe I was supposed to buy all the different sound sets to see if I liked any of them! I only have the Avatar kit, and the presets that came with it didn’t help me much. Anyway, good suggestions in case I try it again.

I think its great just the way it is, pm’ed

Just basically if instrument is at 0db subtract 4db from gain to see where it sits. 4db is just a start point to play with :slight_smile: Did you automate the keys during mix?