Bankselect MSB to Programchange

Hi,

I have an old synthesizer (Yamaha SY77) that didn’t recognize ‘Bankselect Messages’. It needs two ‘Programchange’ instructions. The ‘Midi Device Manager’ uses ‘Bank Select’ + ‘Progr. Change’ and the scripts created by ‘MIDI Quest’ does the same. The instruction “[bank: do send as program change]” - as described in Steinbergs script documetation - does … nothing :angry:

So I switched to plan ‘B’. I created a MIDI Transformer effect to do the transformation. This works fine, if the ‘Bank Select message’ is somewhere in a part but it doesn’t work if I use the inspector to change the program - and that’s what I usually do.

Any ideas what I could do.

regards
Klaus

Hi,

I don’t think, SY77 asks for two Program Change messages. It’s against the MIDI specification.

Are you in the Play Mode or in the Multi Mode. If you are in the Multi Mode, then it would make sense. You have to select the Program for every single part of the multi-sound. It’s (probably) based on MIDI Channels. So you would need one Program Change on Channel 1, and another Program Change on Channel 2.

Hi.

SY77 needs definitely two Program Changes.Each Bank holds 64 programs and the numbers 116-126 are used for Bank Select (Play & Multi mode)

Klaus

Hi,

Coul you share the PDF manual with me, please? (i cannot find it online) I will have a look.

Program Change can sent up to 128 values.

Hi Martin,

take a look at page 222/223 (page 223 of .pdf ). And believe me - it’s true. If I send two “Program Change” commands the bank changes. And my ‘Transform’ preset works if the ‘Bank Selct’ + ‘Program Change’ is in a part.

Klaus

edit : Upload didn’t work but here is a link Yamaha Downloads

Hi Klaus,

Hmmmm, you are right…

I wonder, if there is a way to switch it to the common way. The Multi is mu sing MIDI Channels. So if you send the Program Change on MIDI Channel 2, you should change the program of the 2nd layer of the Multi.

Hi Martin,

that wouldn’t help. ‘Voice Mode’ or ‘Multi Mode’ - You always need two Program Changes. What I need is either the possiblity to use a Transform-Preset from the inspector or a version of Cubase that keeps what it promises. In the file :
“C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 8.5_64\Scripts\Patchnames\script documentation.txt”
you can read :

optional settings
[bank: do send as program change] //send bank select as several Program changes
but to create a script with this line included doesn’t work. Cubase ignores this command when you install this script in the ‘MIDI Device Manager’ :imp:

I checked, what MIDI data is Cubase sending. Yes, it’s sending 1 Program Change + MIDI CC32 (Bank Select) data.