Bar copy problem with tied notes

How to copy a bar containing notes linked to the next without repeating the notes linked outside the bar.

Other than using the U key to break the link before you copy, there is no way.

2 Likes

If you select the whole bar and it omits a note tied into its downbeat, you can copy using Alt-click to the downbeat of the next bar, and just ignore the tie. In this example there’s a rest on that downbeat, so it works:

What we can’t do is repeat such a figure with R, because total length of all the notes is longer than the bar.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you Mark,
but my problem is not solve.
I’m in transition and from Sibelius to Doric.
I try to explain better the situation I am trying to handle.

Let’s say I want to create two new bars between bar 8 and 9.
So bar 9 becomes bar 11.
In these two new bars I want to insert the content of bars 4 and 5.
Bar 5, however, ends with a note linked to the first note of bar 6.
I don’t want this note from bar 6 to be copied.
If it were copied, it would modify the content of bar 11 (ex bar 9)

How can I do?
In Sibelius it was very simple.
In Dorico I don’t understand how to do it.

Thanks for your kind availability.

The easiest approach is to deselect the last tied note before copying, and replace it (or the first part of it) manually afterward in the copied passage.

Thanks Derrick for helping me.
" U" is a somewhat cumbersome mode. I was wondering if there was a more effective way
I was looking for something faster as you do with Sibelius

Thank you very much Mark.
I can’t believe that Sibelius 4 is more efficient doing that.
Then I will stop trying to find a solution and will do as you and Derrek advise me.

There are massive perks to tied notes being treated as single note values, the biggest of which is that you can move material left and right and Dorico will automatically regroup the note values to match the position in the bar. Same goes for changing your mind about what time signature you’re working in after the fact, or copying material to a spot that’s in a different time signature to the source material - Dorico regroups the notes so they make sense in their new context. And then of course there’s selecting a passage and applying an articulation to it - if you do that in Sibelius 4 you’ll end up with your articulation (wrongly) on every notehead in a tie chain.

The flipside to that is situations such as this one, where it’s impossible to truncate a note automatically before copying and pasting.

Thank you very much Pianoleo.
Actually I am brand new here in Dorico.
I hope not to be a problem asking basic questions as I have been doing today.
I’d appreciate a lot every kind of advice to handle my first steps in this new field.

Sincerely

You can ask any question and someone here will provide a good answer. But I would strongly suggest that you:

1. make the effort to work through the First Steps Guide (and watch the video walkthrough)
  2. forget how other programs do it (we’ve all had to jump that particular hurdle). Learn the Dorico way, and you should soon find it neither cumbersome nor inefficient.
1 Like

Thank you very much Janus for your kind encouragement
I’ll do it
:slight_smile: