Bar number change not reflected in Play section.

I noticed that when I change the bar numbers in a score, this isn’t reflected in the Play section. Or is there a way to line these up?

No, Play mode currently uses only the elapsed bar number, not the displayed bar number.

A solution would be that Dorico permits to have a double numbering on the score:

1. the numbering as defined by the composer, with all necessary bar number change (= current situation); this numbering would typically correspond to the numbering in commercially available editions.
  2. a second numbering (with another user definable display format corresponding to the play bar number. This makes it possible to follow the printed score easier while playing the score, because the number you see in Play Mode can be found easily in the second numbering on the score.

Example 1: A composition consists of two flows, but the composer has called it being one movement. Practical case: Saint-Saëns, Symphony 3 (Organ). The “first movement” (as defined by Saint-Saëns) consists of two flows (and is always recorded on CD’s in two tracks). Flow 1 (Adagio - Allegro Moderato) is from bar 1 through 349, flow 2 (Poco adagio) is from bar 350 through 477). In my project, flow 2 has a bar number change on bar 1, where the number is redefined from 1 to 350. But when playing flow 2, the numbers are displayed from 1 through 128. The second numbering described above would enable me to print two bar numbers on the second flow: 350/1, 360/11, etc.

Example 2: Classic compositions frequently contain repetitions. Commercial editions count all bars only once, even if they are being repeated. If I have a project with 16 bars introduction, then phrase 2 (8 bars, 1 repeat), phrase 2 (8 bars), phrase 3 (8 bars, 1 repeat, final phrase (8 bars),

• the commercial edition will number as follows: start bar 1-16, phrase 2 bar 17-24, phrase 3 bar 25-32, final phrase bar 33-40; this is also the numbering if you have Dorico not counting the repetitions.
  • Dorico can count all repetitions, in which case the numbering will be: start bar 1-16, phrase 2 bar 17 (25) - 24 (32), phrase 3 bar 33 (41) - 40 (48), final phrase bar 49-56; but in this case the bars that are printed on your score correspond to the numbering while playing, but not anymore to the numbering in a commercial score.
    So in example 2, the solution would be that Dorico can generate the bar numbers with and without recounting, simultaneously, and that both numbers can be printed on the score.

Currently, I have no practical work-around…

Idea for a next release of Dorico?

I was trying to find measure 54 to make a tempo change when this appeared (multiple times in the file). Is measure numbering starting over in Play (but not in Write or Engrave mode) a known problem or feature, or should I send in a sample of the file?

Yes, please send an example project so we can take a look.

File fragment attached. Thank you.
jardinClairOrch200628fragm.zip (778 KB)
Has something to do with the time signature. When I deleted the original time signature and re-applied it, although I lost the double-bars, the numbering in Play seemed to correct itself.

Sorry to take so long to come back to this post. I’m not sure what the exact cause is, but I imagine this project might have started life as a MusicXML import, so it may be that an internal property of some kind has been set on the initial time signature. Deleting that and recreating it does indeed set things straight in Play mode, even after recreating the double barlines at bar 9 and rehearsal marks A and B.

IIRC the file was an XML import. Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

Exactly the same thing thing happened to me, as I realized today. In Play mode, bar 56 continues as bar 1, not 57. I have a rehearsal mark “A” and a tempo change there.

Yes, I may have imported an XML file, on which I extensively worked later.

What is the exact procedure to solve that now? Will this problem be addressed in future updates?

Thank you for your help.

Are you able to attach the project itself so we can take a look? It’s probably an explicit bar number change at that point.

Thank you, Daniel.

I’ve been today trying to solve some NP-related issues (wrong automatic assignment of instruments) and I’ve been told that the imported XMLs may contain hidden info that upsets my project. Perhaps also including this bar number thing happening in Play but not in Write.

I can’t attach the project at the moment. Is there anything in particular you could direct me to check out?

If you can’t attach the project for some reason, you can always send it to me in a direct message so that it doesn’t appear publicly on the forum. Just make sure you let me know at what bar number and in which layout I will be able to see the problem.

In general, make sure you have signposts shown in your project, so that you can see any red signposts belonging to time signatures and special barlines, as you will only be able to find a bar number change by finding the time signature or special barline to which it is attached, and if no visible time signature appears at that point, it should mean that if you show signposts, you’ll see a red signpost at that point.

I am attaching pics from the Play mode and the Write mode. As you can see, the Play mode shows that bar 56 continues with bar 1. Write mode shows the normal numbering.

Signposts are turned on. A rehearsal letter and tempo change occur at bar 57.

Screenshot 2021-11-22 at 03.52.35

Unfortunately, I can’t diagnose problems from pictures. Please either attach the score or send it to me via a direct message if you need further assistance.

Do you see the explicit bar number anywhere in bar 57 in write mode? If so, try selecting that bar number(57) and hit delete key once, and check bar numbers in play mode.
I think this problem is caused by a Bar number change where Continue primary is selected. When this is present, the bar number in play mode is set to 1.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 8.27.09