Bar Number Placement & Big Meters

First: hope this finds everyone healthy, inspired, and productive! :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if it is currently possible to print bar numbers in places other than the top of the score, i.e.

• top and bottom
  • top, middle (e.g. above percussion), and bottom

???

And is it already possible to create these large, thin, cross-staff meter numbers commonly used in film scores?

• Large Thin Meters.png

Cheers! –π

At the moment, bar numbers can only appear in one place, but we plan to make it possible to show them in multiple places in a future update. Likewise, we will add support for big time signatures as used in film scores as soon as we can.

Thank you, sir—can’t wait to see the next update!! :slight_smile:

To be clear, and to avoid unnecessary disappointment: neither of these specific things will be in the next update.

Not even the next major update?

It’s not impossible, but I certainly can’t promise it.

I guess you may need to wait for approx. 1.5 years, according to my analysis towards to the current update history of Dorico.

Anything less crucial to music typography is likely to be postponed in the incoming feature list of Dorico. For example, piano pedaling is only crucial for keyboard music typography and piano MIDI playback but not crucial to typical orchestral music typography, and that’s why piano pedaling was missing until Dorico 1.1. (Note that I am also aware that Dorico team prefer to rebuild a wheel in a better way, and I think they did really well regarding the piano pedaling in Dorico 1.1.)

Whatever the delay, one thing is for sure: it will be worth the wait! :wink:

For anybody else reading this thread, I would take ShikiSuen’s “analysis” with more than a pinch of salt. He has no grounds to make any kind of analysis, nor any knowledge of our plans.