Bar numbers for alternative endings

Hello,

I have a piece in which there are two alternative endings over the last five bars. These should have the following bar count:

• Ending 1: 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
  • Ending 2: 27a, 28a, 29a, 30a, 31a
  • Ending 3: 27b, 28b, 29b, 30b, 31b

Is this possible with Dorico? I have tried a little with bar number changes, but have not been able to find a solution.

Jens

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this isn’t possible, or if it is, I can’t figure it out either, sorry! The ability to specify both the Primary and Subordinate either in the Add Bar Number Change or the Properties panel would make a good feature request. As of now I think it’s just one or the other.

In the meantime I suppose I would just add them as text if left-aligned, or perhaps as a custom line if centered.

1 Like

This is not currently possible natively. This was just being discussed yesterday:

It is possible, of course, using shift-x text, matched to your bar number font. It’s just a little manual work.

Any update on this issue?

We would like to prepare a critical edition that follows the convention of not counting the measures that comprise the second ending in a section – e.g. A part is 8 measures, with first and second ending of two measures each, first measure of B part should have be numbered “9.”

currently in Dorico, the first measure of the B part would have the number “11.”

I don’t know a manual work around for this problem, and even if there is a cludgy workaround, I dread having to implement it consistently by hand across hundreds of tunes.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The not too cludgy workaround is right-click>bar numbers>add bar number change.
You can create your own key command for this.

Thanks for the tip. I’d like to add this as a feature request - especially since the issue was first raised in 2021. Even with the shortcut key command, it is still be a manual process that can’t be included in a template.