Bar Repeats - Cannot do 3 bar repeat

This sort of brings up another feature request. I’d love for there to be some sort of option to have bars actually displayed in the score, but bar repeats, 2-bar repeats, etc. in the part. The oft-cited example of this is Ravel where it’s completely notated in the score, but uses repeats in the part.

There’s not really any way to do that currently without extra players / layouts, but would be a great feature.

2 Likes

As it should be. Oh, how I wish Dorico were able to do even single bar repeats in part, but not score.

1 Like

This goes back to my killer-feature-request : Rhythmic compression!

1 Like

I’m trying to do this right now. I’m doing an arrangement of the Beatles Here Comes the Sun. The line “sun, sun, sun here we come” is three bars of 11/8 4/4 7/8. Those wacky Beatles! I’d really like to use a 3-bar repeat symbol, and don’t think it would be confusing. Is it possible?

1 Like

What do you want it to look like? If you were writing it with pencil or pen & ink, how would you do it? There are quite a few solutions above, but as there’s not really a consensus on how it should be done, it’s hard to know exactly what you want. If you can demonstrate how you’d do it by hand, I’m sure we can find a workaround to do it in Dorico.

(Not that it matters, but I guess I always thought of it as a 4-bar phrase: 6/8, 5/8, 4/4, 7/8. Years ago my daughter did an ice skating routine to this, and that’s how I always counted it the few hundred times I heard it, LOL)

1 Like

Since that passage (however you bar it) is a literal repeat for everyone, just write repeats!

Fred, that’s exactly how I’ve always heard it. :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve tried writing it other ways with hemiola, etc., and it isn’t better. (I wonder whether this delightful irregularity was influenced by the additive rhythms of Indian classical music?)

1 Like

Very well could be. It seems like a stream of 1/8th notes. But it seems to me in that entire stream the one thing that is “regular” in that passage is the 4 quarter notes starting with “come”, so that 4/4 definitely seems solid to me.

Notation of this sort of thing has always been interesting to me, as it is often a choice among several “right” answers. I could see a case for 9/8, 2/8, 6/4, 3/8 because the “come” stays regular for a full 6 beats. If I had to vote for the “best” notation, I’d say 6/8, 5/8. 6/4, 3/8.

Here’s what I experimented with in 2017:

1. Minimal meter changes, as the quarter pulse can continue through it
  2. Trying to group the 3s together (but failing because of the last 2). Also, how much of it can stay in 4/4? (This one could have had 5/4 in place of 2/4+3/4, with a sort of reverse-Mission-Impossible pulse, 2 quarters + 2 dotted quarters.)
  3. How I still tend to hear it

Adding my voice here - I would use three bar repeats ALL the time if Dorico would let me. Please implement this if it’s not too hard!! Would make life much easier for a lot of us.

3 Likes

Came here looking for a five bar repeat - my drummer’s going to be very disappointed…
Surely it can’t be a lot of work to facilitate a customisable x bar repeat.
It seems rather archaic (putting it politely) to still only have 1, 2 and 4. Cage, Stockhausen and Schoenberg must be turning in their graves…

I’m working on a composition where the number of beats in each measure will be the square root of the measure number. I think it could prove to be the most significant advancement since 12-tone. When will Dorico support square roots in the meter symbol?

Now (s)he knows how musicians feel for a change.

I’m sorry, but have you ever seen any music by Cage, Stockhausen or Schoenberg?

[If this was just a snarky comment, then I withdraw my snarky comment]

How many measures in 4′33″? That’s how many repeats we need (minus 1 of course).

1 Like

Yes.
Dare I feign interest in your point…?

No measures but there are three separate movements.

Really!

Nope…