Bar #s not showing in Galley view

Hi all,

I’m a bit stumped so I was wondering if someone could help me figure out why bar #s aren’t showing in Galley view for this one flow. They show in Page view and show in all other flows so I obviously have them turned on. They only aren’t showing in this one flow (out of 5). Here’s what it looks like:

The composer wrote it in Finale so it’s an XML import. (Spacing all the grace notes is too much of a PITA in Finale so I decided to try editing it in Dorico) As it’s an import, I really need the bar #s to proof against his score. It’s unmetered at the beginning so is that a reason? Bar #s show in Page view fine though. There are no bar #s for this entire flow and then they appear again in the next flow. Any thoughts how to get them to show here?

Is there a time signature at all (even an Open one)? Might there be dodgy bar number changes? Might there be some independent barlines? This is almost definitely a mis-translation from Finale.

That’s certainly what it is, as I’ve had this exact thing happen to me.

You might try setting the first bar to 4/4, then deleting that. Also, check for explicit clefs.

Thanks Leo & Dan! This is really strange, I cannot create a time signature at the beginning of the bar at all. I try to set it to 4/4 but nothing happens. I then get the Time Signature properties box and Hide Time Signature is not selected. I can create a time signature after the first beat though, just not before. While I had the properties box open, I tried Open style X and it doesn’t show either. After I click off it I can’t get the properties box back as there is no time signature.

As far as I can tell there aren’t any independent barlines. I tried adding explicit clefs at the beginning too and it didn’t affect anything. As this doesn’t affect the output I guess I’m not going to worry too much about it. I can still proof in page view, it’s just annoying to not have the numbers in Galley.

If you want this fixed (which I strongly recommend, since it can come back to bite you later), can you zip the project and post it here? I can take a crack at it.

You other option is to select all notes (NOT everything!) and copy-paste to a new flow. Then copy-paste other elements, like dynamics, if desired. That should fix it.

As it’s not my work, I’m not sure I’m comfortable posting it publicly. I’ll PM it to you though if you want to take a look. It’s flow #4. Ignore the end of the flow though. As there is some more unmetered stuff in the manuscript I was just going to enter it manually. I just started working on it so the whole thing is still a colossal mess.

Dan’s suggestion of copying everything to a new flow worked. Thanks Dan!!!