Barline joins for solo singers

Another publisher’s requirement:
The staves of solo singers should have joined barlines at the end of the staff, even if their staves are not bracketed. In other words, this is like a barline join, but only for the last barline of a staff.

Do you mean like this?
Screenshot

You can join all the barlines at the end of a system in Notation Options.

But if you want Solo singers joined to other singers; but some other staves non joined together, then I don’t think that’s possible.

1 Like

I mean like this:

Soprano solo and Alto solo are only joined at the end of a system if they are bracketed (like in SATB choir). The publisher demands that also the two solo staves are joined together at the end of each system, even though they are not bracketed.

No, I don’t think that’s possible. If you remove the bracket, then the barline goes with it.

You’ll have to delete the brackets from the PDF in Illustrator, or Affinity Designer, etc.

Thank you … that’s why I’ve marked the topic as “feature-request” :slight_smile:

Hi @BassoContinuo

I tried the crazy workaround creating a vertical line with 1/5 width (as in engraving options) and positioning it with decimal numbers. Crazy time consuming of course, but if the publisher insists… (to be made at the end of all layouting because the line is attached to note position)

There is a way to do this, but it is a little fiddly and moderately time-consuming, and you will need to have the layout finalised, especially staff spacing and system breaks.

1. Make the time signature on every staff an independent one. I did the top staff first - select the first note or rest in bar 1, press shift-M, enter the time signature, hold down alt/opt while pressing Enter (holding down alt/opt will constrain the time signature to only that staff - the same can be done for key signatures).

2. Then, Duplicate to Staff Below until each staff has its own independent time signature - I have assigned a keystroke to that action so it is much quicker than doing it through the Edit menu.

3. On the staff from which you want the barline to extend downwards, select a note or rest at the start of the bar AFTER the barline which you want to adjust. This will typically be the first bar in the next system.
    It should be possible to select the actual barline and do the next step but when I first tried it, it behaved oddly. Try selecting the barline itself first. If that doesn’t work, select the first notational element in the next bar.

4. Open the Barline popover (shift-B), type tick and hold down alt/opt while pressing Enter. There should now be a tick barline on the top line of that staff.

5. Select this tick barline, go into Engrave mode and open the Properties panel. At the far right of the Time Signatures section there is a property called Tick adj., which has Out and In values.

6. To extend this independent tick barline down to the next staff, enable (click on) Tick adj. Set the Out value to -1/2, and set the In value to something quite large, such as 8. Keep adjusting the In value until it is the length you want.

7. When you do the same thing for the next barline it will initially have the same length as the previously-adjusted barline. You should be able to select it and adjust its length without any others being affected.

In the attached Dorico project, I have done the same procedure for the SATB staves (as seen in the screenshot above). The Out value for the two solo singers is 10 and the Out value for the S stave in the SATB section is 32.

Singers-barlines.dorico (1.3 MB)

Note 1. The amount of extension is an absolute value, not a relative one, so if you space the staves closer together or further apart you will then probably have to change the length of this barline. This is why the layout needs to be finalised before adjusting the barlines.

Note 2. I don’t know what you can do about the final barline. The Tick adj. property is only available for the Tick barline.
If you and your publisher can accept the final barline joining all staves at the end of the final system, select the final barline and, in Engrave mode, enable Properties > Time Signatures > Barline joins all staves. You might find it only works after changing the final barline to a normal barline and back again.

Edit: You should be able to copy and paste an adjusted barline to another location using alt/click. If the staff spacing is the same at the target system there will probably be no need to further adjust the length of the barline.

1 Like

Hello @Christian_R and @StevenJones01, thank you very much for your suggestions.

I’ve already tried the line solution, but it’s not reliable and always requires a note near the line.

The approach with the “tick” is brilliant! But it’s a big score and the solution requires a lot of manual intervdention – not to mention that the layout won’t be reliably finished for a long time.

The simplest solution would be for Dorico to offer an option for this :slight_smile: My second best workaround is a curly bracket for vocal soloists, covered with a white rectangle. This can be half-automated with a special page template for the pages with more than one solo singer.