Barline on some staves only?

IS there any way to create a barline across only some staves?

Like, to subdivide a complex time signature or cadenza, but I only want the barlines in the bars that actually have music.

You can do this using local time signatures, which will create barlines as appropriate only on the staves to which those time signatures apply.

That doesn’t seem to work. The bars with music are already in open time with manual bar lines.

What’s to stop you, then, from adding further manual (say, dashed) barlines to those instruments? Sorry if that’s not helpful. Perhaps you could provide a bit more information and perhaps a small example project to help me understand your requirements.

Here’s what I’m trying to achieve.

To clarify, it’s not adding the manual barlines that are the issue…it’s hiding them in all the empty staves to reduce visual clutter.

I’ve been fiddling with this a bit and I don’t think there’s a good way to do this at present. The best you can probably do is to use a global open time signature, with its appearance set to ‘None’, then create a 3/4 time signature on the soloist staves for the cadenza. When you then create a dashed barline on the 3/4 staff, it will extend only across the instruments with coincident local time signatures.

Did somebody say “workaround”?