barlines on vocal staves

In engraving options under “barlines”, I’m looking at “barline joins” | “barlines on vocal staves”, I’ve chosen “break barlines between staves” so my lyrics are not covered by the barlines. However the barlines still remain intersecting with lyrics.

If I choose other barline options, they are changed properly. However, “Break barlines between staves” seems not to work.

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 12.03.13 PM.png

The only thing I can think, David, is that the instruments you’re writing for are not actually vocal instruments. Did you create e.g. a piano rather than a soprano and a bass, or something like that? If so, a piano isn’t a vocal instrument – which sounds like a stupidly obvious thing to say, but what I mean is that the barline joins options respect a setting that is intrinsic to the instrument type you create, which is set for singers, but not set for other types of instruments.

Sigh! Yes Daniel it is a piano staff. I put all of my hymns in piano staves as I would think most church musicians do. They are played on the piano and on the organ. Piano players and organists need the lyrics as well. I would expect to be able to remove the bar lines when they conflict with lyrics on any keyboard or vocal staves.

This would also be necessary for other instruments used in church music ministry like guitars, flutes, clarinets, oboes etc. Yes, occasionally I put some lyrics with these instruments as well (mostly guitars because those players can sing)

Daniel please consider this capability in future updates. Many thanks. D

I think perhaps one answer to this would be for us to add a “choir” instrument that consists of two staves.

With a selectable bracket/brace style for different users, I hope.

Yes that should work well. Thank you. D

I would cdertainly vote for this!