Baroque reactivation process for Dorico 3.5 - taken off-forum

So I’m trying to follow the instructions about reactivating a license but I’m getting nowhere. After having bought a new computer I want to ‘transfer’ the soft license of Dorico 3.5 to the new machine but even though I have the eLicenser up and running I can’t seem to be able to activate the new installation of Dorico Pro 3.5. What’s the secret? Black Magic?
So now the eLicenser informs me that it can’t find the license for my laptop installation of Dorico Pro 3.5. What do I do now? The replacement for this poorly conceived licensing system can’t come soon enough. But in the meantime, I’d like to get the software up and running on my new computer.
So from my old computer, I went to register the license with Steinberg and I’m told that the license is ‘deprecated’ with a big red X next to that notification. What does this mean? I understand the word ‘deprecated’ but I don’t understand why the license is ‘disapproved’.

Are you trying to enter the activation code you received when you updated to Dorico Pro 3.5 a while ago? If so, you don’t need to do that: follow this process instead.

I’m told there is no Soft-eLicenser to reactivate. The installation of Dorico on my old laptop is active and doesn’t use a USB based license so why is there no soft license available for reactivation?

After selecting ‘Reactivate’ within MySteinberg there is a place to retrieve ‘lost’ soft licenses and when I enter the activation code used to activate the copy on my old laptop I’m told “The eLicenser assigned to this Activation Code is deprecated.”

When you run eLicenser Control Center on your new computer, does an empty Soft-eLicenser show up there? Or is eLCC completely empty?

This is what I see:

sent to daniel

from my old laptop that runs Dorico sans USB key the eLicenser looks like this:
sent to daniel

and this from my desktop (running Dorico from a USB key):
sent to Daniel

1 Like

Do you have two independent licenses for Dorico Pro (one in the USB key and another one in the soft-elicenser)? Or did you move the soft-elicenser license to the USB key?

Two licenses. One is on the USB key and the other is not.

Word to the wise: posting screenshots with serial numbers on the internet is a recipe for utter disaster. I would pull them down immediately and message them to Daniel privately…

2 Likes