Barres and fret numbers

Wensleydale, if you attach the playing technique to a lower downstem voice, it will appear below the stave.
Easily put to the top using the Lower zone property.

Hi John
Ooooh, Australia! - nice one - lovely spot. - but I won’t ring you up in the middle of your night!
Facetime?

Sounds like you’re nearly there with the playing technique…
That missing barré you can correct or create as follows :-
If the popover produces no result, you may find that Popover text has not been entered properly. Worth checking that it corresponds to what should be entered.
To add a ‘glyph’ - e.g. C15 - click on a similar playing technique (say CI) then the Plus sign down the bottom to create a technique based on C15.
Now click on the pencil tool (Edit Composite) and a new window opens.
Choose Text-> Style-Playing Technique font. Enter (e.g.) CXVI then OK.
Put c16 in the Popover text, click on the star so it’s filled in to make it default then click OK.
You have now created (or altered) a new barré popover.

Hi, Andy;
I got half-way through, then hit a snag.
The first barre I want is on the 5th fret.
I got down to creating the ‘new’ technique
Now, I haven’t got a pencil tool in my library. And when I look at my score, all I have is a crescendo symbol.

Aha! I don’t think I would ever want a barre notation under the staff, but I don’t mind moving it manually from time to time. Thanks, Andy.

Hi John
Just click on the little pencil icon above the word General (see the image I sent last time).
If you click on the C5 on the left, don’t you get the same as the picture but with CV in the white part and c5 in the popover text?

Got it! My problem was, I had selected ‘text’ instead of 'glyph, so I had no pencil.
Right, off to bed, and the test is to do it again tomorrow.
What a rigmarole! Are you confident withit now? I’m not.
Thanks, Andy

Andy;
I haven’t got it! All I get is C, and no Roman numeral. This is what I did, following your instructions:

1. To add a glyph - eg CV, click on a similar playing technique (C2), then the Plus sign: new page:
    click on the pencil tool and a new window opens. Choose Text>style>Playing technique font Enter CV then OK

Put C5 in the popover text, fill in the star then OK

Does your windows look like this? …

Yep, but just a C without the V - can’t get the extra letter

More detail on that last comment; I can get CV on the library screen, but I can’t get it on the score
Thanks, Andy

I did an animation (not very good since selection of Playing Technique Font was invisible) which I hope helps. This did work …
new playing technique

1 Like

Thanks for all these informations. Yes we can still define custom playing techniques in the meantime, however as it is really common in classical guitar scores, I hope it will be a more flexible and native function included in version 5 of Dorico.

Andy, I just can’t get it to appear!

1. Pick a playing technique: I pick Fullbarre 5, and CV comes up on the screen - great!
    2.To add a glyph, ex C1, click on a similar technique (Full Barre 2) then the Plus sign: when I click the plus sign, the C5 didappears, never to be seen again.
    If I click the pencil, I get “New Technique” displayed, and I can’t get rid of this

A cup of tea ain’t gonna solve this one, something stronger is definitely needed!

Ah - I never used the Full Barré playing technique but created my own first one. from scratch using the 1st plus sign not the second.
I assumed that you had the complete set from the userlibrary.xml file I sent. Did they not appear?
(I have just realised that my original instructions said place the file in the Dorico 3.5 folder. Of course it should be the Dorico 4 folder now.

I’m unable to download your original file, Andy. For some reason the message is ‘invalid file format.’ ??

Here it is again - just in case the last one was faulty …
userlibrary.xml (260.5 KB)

Isn’t Dorico 3 32-bit, and Dorico 4 64-bit?

Not sure - I’ve always updated both System and Dorico as soon as they come out.
I imagine the the xml file would be compatible with both?

But, you can’t have updated Dorico if you’re only on 3.5!!?? My Mac is 64-bit, and won’t open any 32-bit programme. That’s why I ditched Sibelius at the time, because Dorico 4 is 64-bit and Sib. wasn’t updating, and got left behind.

Dorico’s always (since v1) been 64-bit.