Bars in Dorico for ipad

I’m trying out Dorico for iPad. Writing a simple piano score. I would like 5 bars per line. I fiddled around and looked in help, but no joy.

I need 30 bars. 5 per line, as its an exercise. It shows 7. I don’t want to remove bars, I just want control how many are on each line.

I found explanations of systems and flows confusing, maybe somebody might tell a basic user what they need to know about these concepts to make simple scores.

Thanks so much. I was able to write chords fine.

Welcome to the forum, @Chas_Web. You will find a setting to specify the number of bars per system on the Staves and Systems page of Layout Options. You can access Layout Options via the application menu at the top right-hand corner of the display.

For your own reference, here’s the relevant page for that in the iPad manual. Setting a fixed number of bars per system is part of “casting off”.

Thank you both for prompt and gracious replies.

Could you or anybody explain what is a ‘system’ in this context?

We’ve got a definition here.

Got it! Superb support! Seriously.

Do you have a link where I can download pdf of both manuals, the iPad one and the glossary.

I would suggest a cheat sheet for new users with some these terms defined and reminders about some basic operations. Even with 20 years in IT and 30 years playing piano, I found no quick ways to acquire the fundamentals, with most paths presenting an overload of info. *

Those using Dorico often will ‘get it’ no doubt, but many only write occasional scores, and need reminding :wink:

*The exception being the prompt support here, truly outstanding.

You can access all of our manuals in both PDF and webhelp forms from steinberg.help – use the product and version selectors to get to the right manual for you. The landing pages that you reach via that method will also include separate PDFs for tokens and popovers. When it comes to downloading PDFs, I would recommend checking the website frequently as I update active manuals quite regularly (at the moment, every couple of weeks, roughly).

The link in my previous reply was from the Dorico Pro 4 desktop manual, but you should also find a glossary in the iPad manual.

There is also a First Steps guide for new users, that takes you step-by-step through key operations and concepts in Dorico.

You may also like the Resources page that John Barron put together, including some other short quick start and reference guides for things like popovers and key commands.

What exactly should be included in a “cheat sheet” will vary enormously from user to user, so if that’s a learning method that works for you, probably assembling it yourself will be the best way of picking up the relevant information.

Great resources and very professional support.

I would only suggest the design team clean up the 2nd level interface in the long run and rebrand a few terms like “system”, “Flow” and “cast off” so they are specific to the act of writing a score, instead of terms in wide use for any number of actions, which contributes to confusion for new users.

IOS Dorico is an impressive piece of software, and I especially apreciate the implementation of figured bass, very useful since the revelations of Gjerdingen and other scholars starting in 2007, and critical to understanding partimento.

Thanks again, your links are great and I hope will help others also.

“Staff/Staves”, “systems”, and “casting off” are generally widely-known and accepted musical terms. If they’re not familiar to you yet, I’m sure they will be soon and they’re worth picking up.

You should nonetheless find that searching the manual for basic, non-specific descriptions of these things should produce relevant results, like “fixed number of bars” for casting off or “make line full width” for the horizontal justification of systems. Someone pays attention to how users phrase their questions :wink:

“Flow” was a very deliberately chosen term for “a chunk of music” in Dorico, because flows don’t have to be completely pieces of music – they might be musical exercises in an educational document, a short excerpt for use in a footnote, etc etc. Music flows from one page to another through music frames.

I don’t object to use of staff or stave or any common term of music notation. I have much to learn, no question.

Could you provide a reference to use of ‘cast off’ in music notation? Google only includes this reference in relation to Dorico, for me anyway.

Likewise ‘system’.

Flow = chunk. Interesting. :slight_smile:

I find quite a few remarks about the learning curve of Dorico. These generally relate to the organization of features. Of course changing code in a complex software may not be viable, depending on documentation, architecture, budget…

I was reading that Dorico reps long said ‘iPad is not viable’ for us. Happily inaccurate :slight_smile:

E.g. in Elaine Gould’s ‘Behind Bars’, Section III, 16. Casting off

E.g. here or here