Bars too Narrow to Accommodate Playing Technique Glyph

To denote a gradual zig-zag ascent and ‘build’ in a harp part, I made a glyph Playing Technique (a graphic zig zag). If I insert this into the harp’s bars (measures), all appears OK in ‘Write’ and ‘Engrave’ mode, but viewing the harp Part shows bars (measures) too short to hold the glyph, which fly scattered around, rather than within the measure.

Why is the bar width not adapting to accommodate the glyph?

Is there a workaround to fix this (force bar [measure] width)?

If you know the destination pitch, you could input the start/end pitches and join them with a custom horizontal line instead?

Playing techniques don’t generally affect note spacing because there are many circumstances where you wouldn’t want that (e.g. a “sul pont.” indication above a string passage).

You can influence which bars go into each system in each layout in various ways, including changing the default note spacing, setting a fixed casting off, or manually intervening using system breaks.

In our First Steps guide, there’s an example that goes the other way – reducing note spacing to fit more bars in each system.

I’ve read about Frame Breaks, System Breaks and Reducing note spacing. Thanks Lillie.

It seems it’s the performance-saving properties of Galley View that don’t display the score as it’s been edited.

The zigzags mentioned are aleatory in nature, so I guess I could use ‘x’ note-heads to denote approximate pitch, with custom horizontal line as you suggest. Thanks again for your support. :innocent: