Basic question about Gain on device vs. dspMixfX

Hi,

I’'m still dabbeling with the volume for audio recordings on my UR-44.
There are numerous topics about being too low gain while also threads abou too high a gain. It’s crazy.

What’s annoying though is no one from Steinberg has a definitive answer -other than generic ones. It seems to me it’s either a) a structural production error (based on the amoun of people reporting it) or b) a case where the UR doesn’t play well with certain mics (not sure exactly how but it would explain the randomness of the reports.

Anyway, I usually use an AT-2020 or 2 B5’s and as a workaround I incresase the gain on clips in Ableton.
However, I realise I haven’t tried increasing the channel input volume to +6 db. I’m also a little unsure how this correlated to the gain on the interface itself.

Obviously the latter should be able to drop to more reasomable evels (for recording I need it turned up 80-90%!!) but I’m somewhat in the dark as for the intrinsique workings so:

1. Does turning up the channel volume to +6db increase the (input)noise or does it weigh equal and in conjunction with the gain on the interface and do both gains make up for the actual output? Or is one prefered? (Leaving dspMixFX on “unity” and only adjusting the physical knob on the UR44 for better S/N ratio)
  2. Why is there even +6db? When configuring “unity gain” one starts with the first input volume. Isn’t it just better practice to ALWAYS have this maxed out and use the physical knob on the interface to adjust input gain?

So I’m looking for a better understanding between these two gains. An answer to one or two of my questions will help or a narrative explanation is fine as well.

Pre-thanks :wink: