Basic Set Up Question

Just bought a Tascam US-122mkII and Cubase LE5 came with it. Trying to set it up so that it is pain free for my daughter to use. All seems to be working fine except that I would like the VST input to be via the Tascam and the output to be via the speakers attached to the PC. Because we use this PC for more than just audio I don’t want the speakers exclusively going via the Tascam and thereby not available to other applications.

When I go into Device Setup I can only set up one ASIO driver, the TASCAM or the driver for the system speakers which means that when I go into VST Connections the only output devices that I have available is the Tascam.

Basically I need this to be reasonably foolproof so that my daughter can open Cubase and start recording and playing back. Input via Tascam and output via the PC HD speakers (which have a headphone jack). Having to fool around with inputs and outputs each time will not work for her. I assume that there is something basic that I am not doing.

Can someone help?

As you said already, Cubase can only use one ASIO driver at a time, so no you can´t record via the tascam and playback via your onboard sound (at least not without switching) drivers between record and playback. You could try ASIO4all (which I personally wouldn´t advice) Or you can simply use your Tascam as standard sound device in Windows instead of your built in audio card, and connect the speakers there.

Or you can simply use your Tascam as standard sound device in Windows instead of your built in audio card, and connect the speakers there.

That’s exactly what I do to satisfy the same requirement, use my Lexicon interface as the standard sound device, take the Lexicon L&R audio out to a stereo amp and from there to a par of studio monitors, works fine. If I want to work privately or when recording, when you don’t want the speakers on of course, just switch off the stereo amp and stick headphones in the Lexicon. Wireless headphones are essential in my view.