Bass in Bb (transposing instruments)

althemusicwizard, I do not know in which purpose you write scores, for yourself perhaps ? or you compose and then a copyist adapts your scores for a specific orchestra or band ?..

I do not still know the musicians who will play my score. I don’t decide myself in which key and transposition they will play with their instruments. for each instrument, I ask to the orchestra what key and transposition they wish, It belongs to me to adapt me in their wish and not vice versa

I play in a brass band, but always hear the music we’re playing in concert pitch - so always feel like I’m transposing the written part.

Agreed, if writing for a specific orchestra or group. I use notation as little as possible if truth be known…but I’ve written my first musical and hence it needs some dots doing if I’m ever going to get it put on. For my next musical I want it to be more sung through, more recit bits like ‘Sweeney Todd’ / ‘Peter Grimes’ and notation will figure in the actual composing and development of the themes. It makes sense to me, given that different conventions seem to exist in different countries to write transposing parts as transposing parts…That said, with computer notation programs it’s really semantics, because my full score would contain all parts in ‘C’. Anything the people on the ground needed would really just be a click away…wouldn’t it?

My stuff is here:

www.bandcamp.altruistica.com

Cheers,
Al