Batch-processing WAV Metadata from filename

I’ve read the manual but am still not clear how (if ?) I can do this: I have 100+ WAV files that have no metadata but their filename is in the format “artist - title - ISRC.wav”. How can I automatically extract (i.e batch process) those 3 pieces of information into the correct fields in the WAV meta header ?

Sorry, there is currently no way to extract a part of a file name in order to inject it as meta-data (the whole file name would be possible).

Can you consider it as a future feature please ? In the meantime, how would I inject the entire name in a specific meta-data field ?

Or perhaps I could get someone to write a script for me with this functionality that I could run from the Batch Processor > External Tools. What language would I need the script written in for it to run in Wavelab ? Can I use External Tools with Watch Folders ?

Can you consider it as a future feature please ?

Yes it is

In the meantime, how would I inject the entire name in a specific meta-data field ?

See this:

There are a couple of WAV ID3 utilities that can do this. Kid3 is one. It’s nice to know that Wavelab will be adding the capability, because to do it right you really need to add the BWF ISRC to the WAV file, as well as the ID3 ISRC, and the other programs I’m referring to can’t do the BWF ISRC. Wavelab is the only program in the world that can do both BWF ISRC and ID3 ISRC in WAV, afaik.

In Kid3, drag your soundfile folder to the left panel.
(You might want to try this with some test copies first.)

put

%{artist} - %{title} - %{isrc}

in the bottom Format box.

(your filenames must match this format exactly. If you have no spaces before and after the dashes in your filenames, remove the spaces from my string).

Select all of the files on the left (ctrl-a), then click the bottom Tag 2 button. Then click the Save icon.

Close Kid3 and load all the files in Wavelab, click the metadata button on the right and you can see the metadata that’s there. Then you can make AAC and MP3 and whatever else with inherited metadata from the WAV files in Wavelab.

What would be great is if the ID3 ISRC could be automatically picked up by the BWF ISRC field in Wavelab, but I couldn’t figure out a way to do that. You could add the BWF ISRC manually one by one, but it’s a little tricky with existing metadata in Wavelab. If a variable could specifically reference the ID3 ISRC field in Wavelab it seems it would work, if you put that variable in the BWF ISRC block, but I couldn’t find a way to make such a variable.

You could do the BWF ISRC one by one in Sonoris ISRC, but Sonoris strips all existing metadata last time I checked, which is not good, so the Sonoris should be done first if going that way. Then do the Kid3 after (which doesn’t strip existing metadata).

Or you could just forgo the BWF ISRC completely if you don’t need it. The ID3 ISRC will be in the files from the Kid3 process regardless.

Wow, really helpful. Thanks so much for replying bob99

You’re welcome. Hope it works for you.

PG, is there a way I can make a custom variable that would reference the ID3 ISRC field in a file, for the purpose of pulling that value into the BWF ISRC field? Couldn’t figure out a way.

PG, is there a way I can make a custom variable that would reference the ID3 ISRC field in a file, for the purpose of pulling that value into the BWF ISRC field? Couldn’t figure out a way.

This is not possible.

I would like to recall here a powerful feature, but reserved to advanced users: in a batch process, it is possible to extract data from a XML file for WaveLab to inject it in any meta-data field.
You use this dialog:
2015-07-10 22_27_51.png
The concept is:

1. tell WaveLab where the data is located in the XML file.
  2. Connect a variable to this data.
  3. Use this(these) variable(s) in any meta-data field you like.

This means, as far as you are able to setup an XML file, you can inject whatever meta-data you like when batch processing.