BBC SO core wants me to buy it!

For a current project, I’m using BBC SO strings and noteperformer strings in paraller.

I think BBC is good for slow-moving textures: long notes and tremolos, but for faster runs it’s really pretty bad compared to noteperformer. I have assigned them to different voices, so it is quite easy to switch between different sounds.

For spotting mistakes, noteperformer is also way better - but you don’t get the feeling of a lush and warm string section (as much)… :slight_smile:

This helpful feedback over time has caused me to abandon any idea of buying BBC SO. Glad I didn’t bite on the sale.

I thought it might be time for a quick update for those who may be considering the library (though it might be worth waiting a few weeks for the next sale!). I’ve converted four substantial symphonies from Sibelius Noteperformer to Dorico BBC Core. I’ve got over most of my teething troubles and understand reasonably well how to get decent results though there’s no doubt it needs more work than NotePerformer. I would say it’s a must to be aware of the following:

1. many of the complaints against this library are the implied inadequacies regarding faster runs. Although there is at times a bit of fuzziness there and even hints of sloppy timing, I find in general the articulations crisp and dramatic enough. It’s essential to use the “legato” patch instead of the “long” for strings “normal” unless you are specifically writing slow moving moody music. Long is actually rather limited in its use whereas legato is well suited to a variety of tempi.
  2. the control system is not so straightforward, particularly using the “legato” strings patch. You need to carefully balance CC11 (volume) and CC1 (dynamics) to get smooth, yet agile transitions with the right amount of attack. The attack varies according to speed when you play live so you need to emulate this in notation. In some patches, transitions can be a bit abrupt between the dynamic layers so again, this can be smoothed out by keeping a relatively low CC1 level and boost the CC11. it’s absolutely essential to use the secondary controller and defaulting to copying rather than scaling values seems appropriate
  3. short articulations are designed to use velocity as primary and John’s EM has correctly taken note of this. Dynamic levels don’t always match the other patches so using the NoteLength feature will mean that some notes will need some adjustment.

I think sakausri’s short summary grasps the essentials except it’s certainly better, if by no means perfect, for faster music. The available demos are very variable and some don’t seem to show the real potential of the library, although it’s possible that also has something to do with my musical taste. For hearing exactly what you wrote, NP is unrivalled but there’s no question that BBC Core has more character though the learning curve was a bit steeper than I’d originally expected. You can listen to the first mockup I made here:
Box if you’re interested in using it for more classically based that commercial music. It’s shorter and perhaps more varied in content than the others although I have refined my technique a bit in the meantime so there’s certainly room for improvement.

Against VSL Synchron – well VSL is the more refined product at a somewhat higher price (comparing Core v VSL SE vol1 both parts) and includes more instruments --I had to add VSL cor anglais, bass clarinet and contrabassoon for my mock up as they are missing in Core and there’s also the substantial Steinway. But for some kinds of music, the BBC Core’s greater warmth and expressiveness could make it a first choice. I’m talking here about all in one orchestral packages at reasonable prices – there’s an army of sectionalized libraries out there including the popular CSS which has obviously won bodek’s support, as an alternative way to build up sounds.

Thanks for the extended comments, dko22.

my pleasure! It’s a pity that it’s not currently possible to get a trial of the library and I myself had to take a small risk in buying it but don’t regret it. Reviews overall are pretty positive but there’s no library that pleases everyone. Still, as I’ve said before, the choice of full orchestral libraries of decent quality at a price which most can afford is actually pretty limited. Old budget ones like Garritan or the bundled Halion are really last resort these days, I would say. NotePerformer is in a class of its own being to a considerable degree modelling based and certainly has its uses.