Beam grouping issue after moving bar lines

I’m seeing some unusual behavior, and figure I must be doing something wrong. I often re-bar music after I enter notes, and this means I sometimes add or remove bar lines, change time signatures, etc. Occasionally, I will find a situation in which the beaming does not reflect the proper grouping. I have tried to reset the beaming, or even “beam together”, but neither has any effect. Image is attached. Notice the last measure does not beam the 1/16 notes together as it should.
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 2.03.45 PM

Perhaps also someone might be able to clarify for me why I sometimes see signposts for time signatures above the score and other times not. It seems arbitrary to me. If I try to delete some signposts where successive measures use the same time signature (i.e., multiple measures of 3/8 in a row), a meter signature appears on the score in place, even though the meter has not changed.

Try [3]/8 time signature.
Beam together should work, IIRC. And changing the property “second beam break” too…
We’re sometimes a little bit surprised by some default reactions but usually there’s a solution (and an explanation for the way it behaves)

Is this an XML import. Those frequently have multiple time sigs in them. You can try deleting the (duplicate) time signature itself if one shows up as you dispose of the Signposts.

Thanks all. I tried the [3]/8, and the attached is what I see.
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 3.27.19 PM

Marc, when you say to change the secondary beam break property, do you mean by selecting each pair of 1/16 notes and switching them one at a time? That does work, but is pretty inconvenient.

Derek, it’s not an XML import. It’s a native Dorico file. If I try to delete the time signature, the signpost appears:
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 3.31.39 PM

If I then try deleting the signpost, the time signature reappears on the staff:
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 3.31.20 PM

Is that normal behavior?

Sorry folks, but in the interest of efficiency, I thought I should just upload an excerpt of the actual file. What I want is to have three bars of 3/8 without duplicate unnecessary time signatures and all beaming according to the secondary beam-break rule.
Tom sketch test.dorico (2.4 MB)

There is something weird in your example file. I can’t delete the second 3/8 by selecting it and pressing delete either. If I un-hide it and delete the now visible 3/8, the signpost pops up again. That’s not normal. If I delete the first 3/8, however, the second one disappears as well, and both measures now form a ¾. This seems to have solved it.

1 Like

You lost me a bit in the detail, but I think I get the idea.

As I explore the issue more, it seems that there are some odd rules about when groups are beamed together in triple meter with an 1/8 note beat. If I write six 1/16 notes in a measure, it beams them together with breaks of the secondary beam as expected. However, if the first note is replaced with a 1/16 rest, it separates the beams into individual beat units. Is this a common notation practice? It seems odd to me.