Beam Thickness

I’ve been able to find the options to adjust thickness of many other elements in the Engraving Options, but I don’t see one for beam thickness (nor can I find it in any documentation). Am I missing it, or is it not available?

It is not currently available, but we expect to make this possible at some point in the future.

Any news about this topic?

Maybe try to modify this entry in the json file:

The bravura default value is set to : 0.5

Please, be careful, th json file is very sensitive file, you should be aware of what you’re modifying.

Thanks,
Onestly I don’t feel very confortable to modify files around, specially if you tell me to be careful…
Anyway thanks for the tip!

Tant mieux!

You cannot currently alter the default beam thickness in Dorico, I’m afraid. This is something that is planned for a future version of the software.

1 Like

Hi!
Has this feature been addded to Dorico 4?

If not, then I would like to ask @NorFonts , where can I access that .json file?

Yes.

The features only changes the thickness of the selected beam group but not to the overall look of the beams… too bad.

What exactly do you mean here, I’m not sure I follow? There’s a separate property for the gaps between beams, if that’s what you’re after?

I think he means there’s not an Engraving Option or Notation Option to globally change the beam thickness, only individual beams in Engrave. (Select all, Filter Notes can obviously make a global change too once you are done inputting.) If you’re trying to duplicate a hand copied look for example, you might want a heavier global beam setting.

There should be an option in Engrave mode, like "Filter all the Beams (we get all beams selected) then we apply the desired Thickness. @dspreadbury please may you consider this as a feature request? Thanks.

In order to change the overall thickness of the beams in a given score, I should repeat meany many times the selection of the beamed notes and then apply my desired thickness value… very tediuos task. Finale and Sibelius can do this on the fly.

As @FredGUnn said, you can filter-select them all and change it once.

Dan, can you post a gif file here? I tried to filter all the selected notes but got nothing… am I doing something wrong?

If there are tuplets in your selection you need to Filter Deselect those or you won’t see the Notes properties. (Filtering Notes includes tuplets in case you’re intending to copy and paste the notes elsewhere, as in this situation you’ll likely want to paste the tuplets along with the notes.)

Where are we with this request?

Would it be possible to incorporate global beam thickness into Engraving Options on the next Dorico release just about every other element has the options to adjust thickness. We don’t really understand why Steinberg team question the importance. Sibelius and Finale are quite good in this option!..Sorry, but I’m getting mad.

@Chase43078

“Shouting” won’t get you anywhere, Nor. This remains on our backlog and is something that we plan to implement in a future version, but I can’t say when it will be done.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel, but, I was not shouting…somehow, the text turned bold with my new browser MS Edge… not my mistake. Sorry.