Beaming in 6/8

Am I reading this (notation options dialog) wrong?:

I want to use that style of beaming in 6/8, but it is beaming all 6 16ths together:

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 3.33.33 PM

I can change it manually, but is there a way to get this (paired 16th) beaming in 6/8 automatically?

Welcome to the forum.

You’re not misreading the Notation Option itself, but you’ve not noticed that it’s within a section called “Simple Time Signatures Without a Half-bar”. 6/8 is a compound time signature with a half-bar, so these Notation Options don’t apply to 6/8.

I don’t think there’s a good way to automate this. You could use a time signature of [1+1+1+1+1+1]/8 (the square brackets in the popover indicate that Dorico should respect the grouping without displaying it on the page). That would mean you’d need to split the middle of each bar, but that’s probably fewer clicks than splitting the secondary beam every two semiquavers/16ths.

Thanks! That makes sense.

The [1+1+1+1+1+1] option works great for the 16ths, but it breaks the half-bar 8th note grouping (as you note), and in this piece that happens a lot more than the 16ths, so it will be faster for me to just manually break the 16ths as necessary.