Beaming Issue Dorico 5

Hi everyone,
I am having a ‘first-time issue’ with something related to Beaming notes.

I am working on a commission of a piece inn 9/4, and got asked to beam notes 2 at the time, like in bar 1, below.

I went on Beam grouping - notation options, and selected these options, but it is not making any difference, and doing it manually for a whole orchestra would take an endless amount of time. For reference, I’m using dorico 5.

Any suggestion? thank you in advance!

claudio

It’s likely that Dorico thinks 9/4 is a compound time by default.

You’ll need to change the time sig to [1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1]/4 in the popover. Possibly other configurations that keep it as a simple time might work, too.

1 Like

First of all, thanks for the answer.

I did try the (very bad looking) 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1/4, but it did not sort any effect and it does honestly look unpresentable. I thought there should be a way to show a 9/4 but, inputting the idea of the 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 as a subdivision idea…

You have to use [ ] square brackets to surround the numbers. Then it will show as 9/4.

As I said, other ‘sums’ to avoid the compound division may work for your score, like [5+4].

2 Likes

If you’ve forgotten to enclose your desired beat grouping in [ square brackets ] in the popover, you can change the appearance of the resulting time signature later.

2 Likes

Yes, you are right, thank you. Still, the beaming problem is persisting at the moment, it seems that no matter which notation option i select, I can’t make any different appear!

a) Are you definitely changing Notation Options for the right flow, if there’s more than one in this project?

b) Have you selected these bars and reset beaming, just to make sure there’s nothing overriding the beaming that should be coming from Notation Options and the time signature?

c) Failing that, can you share the project here? If you don’t want to share the whole thing, make a duplicate copy of the file, and delete the bars before/after this excerpt and any other players that don’t need to be there.

Thank you again for the answer!

a) one single flow for this project.
b) I selected all and clicked on reset beaming, so the settings are there, but no change i appearing.
c) sure, i can send a copy of the file here, it’s just started so i was trying to set it up for the whole piece without having to work on these things later.

The copy of the file is purely for diagnostic / investigative purposes. Hopefully we’ll be able to give you a solution you can easily apply to your original project.

Illumi copia.dorico (2.1 MB)

Thank you very much, probably it’s something under my eyes and I can’t seem to figure out what…!

Where in this file is the problem? Which bars do you want the beaming to be different in?

Remember that any explicit barline (including double barlines) are “inherently” time signatures, and so can affect the note/beat grouping that’s coming from the prevailing time signature.

Resetting the key signature to [1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1]/4 works for me. (See 2nd measure.)

Illumi copia - Altered.dorico (1.1 MB)

Oh wow, this worked indeed.

I may just rewrite everything on this file, i can’t see the difference in the settings between the 2 files, but nice that it works now, thank you so much!

@Lillie_Harris , thank you too of course. I need this through the entire piece, it was a specific request from the client.

Just re-input the time signature, with the required beat grouping in the time signature.

Dorico lets you quite easily update/change time signatures without affecting the music.

And note that you can alt-click a time signature that you changed with the brackets thing, and that note grouping should be retained.

1 Like