Beaming issue

Ken, if Alt-B is allegedly assigned to Split Beam, it’s because you’ve assigned it (or you’re using a non-standard keycommands JSON, or the person you share your computer with has assigned it). Alt-B is not assigned to anything in any of the nine factory keyboard shortcut sets, and Split Beam does not have a shortcut by default.

Thanks. That stimulated me to some useful exploration of Dorico’s capabilities. I see that my list of key commands that I thought came from the Dorico website unaltered now shows the Ctrl+Alt+X that I have just set up, from which I deduce that the Help system is very sophisticated. I don’t recall even knowing how to set up a new key command until this week and I would remember if I had done so since I acquired Version 3.1.10.1032. Would it’s installation have inherited the setting from the previous one, of Dorico 2? This is the first time I have wanted to split beams since last summer, and my daughter might have assigned Ctrl+B for me then.

Dear kenm,
Yes, your key commands will stay even when you update Dorico (thankfully), so it is absolutely possible that those were created in Dorico 2. Leo is absolutely accurate in his post, I would not have put it better.

Yes, your Dorico 3 installation will have inherited preferences and keyboard shortcuts from your Dorico 2 installation. The keyboard shortcut diagrams available from the Help menu (via a web page) are generated locally and show whatever shortcuts are currently assigned on your machine (though they’re not foolproof - they seemingly can’t differentiate between top row numbers and the numbers on the keypad).

Thanks Marc and Leo. Dorico keeps looking to me to have advanced leaps and bounds since I first tried it in 2017, but I guess a lot of it is just me finding out what has been there all the time.