Beaming percussion and marimba

is it possible to cross beam between two lines ? On the one hand a marimba and on the other a darbuka. I have a player who plays marimba and darbuka and I would like to make the rhytms readable for this player.

1 Like

Unfortunately you can’t cross notes between pitched instruments and unpitched percussion kits, sorry.

Thank you for replying.
Is that something that will be possible somewhere in the near future ?

Not in the near future, no, though I certainly don’t rule it out forever.

1 Like

It is used very often in solo percussion pieces, so I hope you will bump it up a notch.

Jesper

Kaija Saariaho ex.

1 Like

Dorico can appear to cross notes between a pitched instrument and an unpitched percussion kit with some effort:

1 Like

Like @jesele I believe this is an integral part of notation of percussion instruments. When working with more complex set-ups it would be great to be able to cross-staff between instruments (other than keyboard instruments), cross-staff between instruments and kits, and cross-staff between different kits.

When working on a score last year, I found a way to cross-staff between different instruments. You have to drag all the instruments you want to cross-staff between into the same player, work out the cross-staffing in Galley mode, and then pull the instruments back to their original players. If you want to make a change, you have to do it all over again, but at least this works more or less consistently. Unfortunately, this method doesn’t work with kits.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I did here.

Jesper

How did you do this?

@hComp : Welcome to the forum! Here is how to enter the notes for the crotales and the percussion kit containing the triangle and tambourine in the third and fourth measures of the image in my previous post. The tuplets for the crotales are 5:4x and the tuplets for the percussion kit are 5:1q.

Select both measures and remove all rests. Hide the tuplets for the percussion kit. Select the first note in the last measure for the crotales, suppress its playback and hide its notehead in Engrave mode. Flip the stem on the triangle note and lengthen the stems of all the notes in the percussion kit by setting the Stem adj. property in Engrave mode. Activate Staff Spacing in the Engrave toolbox and decrease the spacing between the staves for these players. Some effort is needed to get the staff spacing and the stem lengths of the notes in the percussion kit just right.

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome and for the great explanation!

However, this indeed calls for a great effort. I hope there will be an easier way in a near future update that also include kits!

1 Like