Beat grouping minim across middle of bar

I hope this is a quick question to answer for someone:

Is there a way to notate the minim G (this is bass clef) as a minim rather than two tied crotchets? (Without Force Duration, obviously!)

I find the combined implications of the many Note Grouping options impossibly hard to get my head around, but I usually find that semi-randomly turning different options on and off in combination eventually produces the desired result. However, not on this occasion.

Thanks in advance!
Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 17.21.57.png

The eighths are likely the cause of the tied quarters as opposed to a syncopated half note.

I have a feeling this is specifically to do with the 2/2 time signature, which responds to notation options about note grouping differently than a 4/4 time signature. For instance, the note grouping option “Notes starting after the start of the bar of multiple beats in duration” (3rd option down on the Note Grouping page) produces what you want in a 4/4 time sig but not 2/2.

If you’ve got long sections in 2/2 where you want that note grouping, consider inputting a 4/4 in bar 2 and hide it, leaving you with just the first bar in the section to use force duration on. This will however split multi-bar rests in parts resting for the first 2 bars though. Otherwise, unless the music really does need to be 2/2, consider switching to 4/4?

Derrek: Thanks, but changing the eighths to a quarter don’t fix it.

Lillie: Aha, that’s a good workaround! I do need it to be in 2/2, since the feel is 2 minims in a bar and not 4 crotchets… but the multirest problem doesn’t bother me since it’s a choral score. So I’ll do as you suggest. Thank you!

Changing the eighths back may not, but entering “quarter half quarter” from the start avoids the tie over the half-measure.

I know this has come up in the past, but I want to reiterate that beaming 2/2 as if it was 4/4 is a very common practice and I do wish it was added as an option in Dorico. I’m aware of the hidden 4/4 trick, but this has side effects, including the split multi rest problem as well as the metronome playing back differently.

1 Like