Beatmatching Issues

Hello,

I just got Cubase 6 and I am attempting to make my 1st DJ mix inside of it, or any DAW for that matter. I have read numerous posts and watched numerous tutorials about the warping functions. But so far it has given me a lot of difficulties and issues. Please correct me if they are operator error, but here’s my issues:

1. When I load tracks into my pool, it keeps saying all of the tracks’s are at 120 bpm when they are not.
  2. When I check musical mode (in the pool) on the tracks and input a different bpm in the tempo it does not change the track to that tempo. It is actually changing the tempo in the opposite direction. If I input a faster bpm from the original it actually slows down the file. And vice versa. ?
  3. It is not syncing up my beats to the bar grid or metronome either. Even when I run tempo detection. Thus, when I go to warp individual beats the warp cursor still wants to snap to the bar grid,making it a pain to line up my audio beats because it keeps magnetizing over to the grid, not the other beat.
  4. When I run the hit points option on the file it doesn’t accurately create all of the hit points on the track’s beats.

There’s gotta be an easier method to all of this. And I am sure I am doing something wrong or missing something.

Thanks for any help.

-T

mate,that sounds like an awful lot of hassle to make a dj mix.
why not buy dedicated software for mixing?

Type in the correct (original) tempo of the files in the pool

+1

… and you can make multiple selections and set all selected files at once to the tempo you type in.

I would do as Split suggests and enter the tempo yourself.

Cubase can analyze and help you get the correct BPM for the tracks, but if you are going to handle hundreds or maybe even thousands of tracks like most DJ’s do, I would recommend using BPM Analyzer (it’s freeware and available for both Windows and Mac).

Guys,

I don’t think you saw what I wrote in the original message. I AM typing in the desired bpm tempo in the pool…and it is not working for me? What I wrote above:

"1. When I load tracks into my pool, it keeps saying all of the tracks’s are at 120 bpm when they are not.
2. When I check musical mode (in the pool) on the tracks and input a different bpm in the tempo it does not change the track to that tempo. It is actually changing the tempo in the opposite direction. If I input a faster bpm from the original it actually slows down the file. And vice versa. ? "

And I am not looking to DJ live w this, just make one 1 hour mix…so will be using about 10 to 12 different tracks.

Thanks.

Try putting in the tracks tempo (pool) before activating musical mode.

You have to set the bpm in the pool before you activate musical mode. The bpm in the pool is for connecting the sample tempo to the project tempo, then the sample will follow the project tempo. The tempo of the sample itself is not dependent on the project bpm. The tempo of a wave file is set by the samplerate , and will play at that tempo independant of the bpm in the project. So you have to connect the samplerate to the bpm of the project; that’s what the bpm in the pool is for.

:frowning: Split was faster than me!

here’s what I do:

1- zoom in and cut the empty space at the beginning of the track so it starts exactly on the first beat.

2- then I find the bpm. there is a bunch of ways to do this but what I usually do is try to match the track to the sidechain kick in my template. I active “musical mode” in the pool then adjust the bpm until it syncs up with the kick or another track I previously loaded.

Ok, makes sense, will try that out! Thanks!