Beginner learning Cubase 12- Audio not recording onto track, need help

Hello, I have a trial month of Cubase 12 pro and I am watching a Cubase 10 tutorial on the Groove 3 website and for some reason my audio is not recording onto the instrument track. I have the VST Retrologue loaded onto an instrument track, but when I hit the record button it does not write the notes I play onto the track…it just stays blank. I have my M2 Audio interface hooked up and set fine, as far as I can tell, and the sound bars are registering that it is indeed picking up the sound. My iMac permissions are also set to allow Cubase access to microphone. I am at a loss as to why it is not recording the audio. I am sure it must be something simple and I am just an idiot trying to find it. I am only allowed to send one screenshot, but my studio setup settings, including the VST settings and MIDI port settings, are all set to my M2 audio interface. Please help. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The Instrument tracks don’t record audio. They are recording the MIDI data. What is your MIDI keyboard, please?

Don’t use the virtual keyboard of the instrument itself, please. The MIDI notes are not routed from the virtual keyboard to the track.

1 Like

LOL… ohh thank you, that was the issue! I was not using my MIDI Keyboard controller. I was just trying it out first through the VST virtual keyboard. Once I powered up my actual MIDI keyboard, it recorded fine! I feel so stupid. hahaha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thank you so much for the very fast reply, so much appreciated!

• Dawn
1 Like