Beginner Tutorial

Hi!

Is there a good beginner tutorial that Shows how to Setup an IDE (i.e. Eclipse / Visual Studio) with the SDK and how to create a simple Hello World Program?

I.e. i think of an Instrument plugin with a simple button that plays a sample or a Sinus tone Generator.

With best regards,
Bjoern

Have you downloaded the VST3 SDK? It doesn’t contain any proper tutorials, but the documentation has a useful overview about VST3 plugin architecture. It also includes several VST3 example projects for Visual Studio and Xcode which demonstrate simple effect and instrument plugins.

Ah yes thank you! Meanwhile i have used wdl-ol to compile my first effect plugin using this tutorial:

http://www.martin-finke.de/blog/articles/audio-plugins-002-setting-up-wdl-ol/

Hello,

there is a tutorial for Visual Studio which doesn’t use 3rd party tools/libs at How to make VST plugins in Visual Studio

Just… when i follow the tutorial i get many errors like

2>vst3stdsdk.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol “public: __thiscall Steinberg::FUID::FUID(void)” (??0FUID@Steinberg@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function “public: __thiscall Steinberg::Vst::Component::Component(void)” (??0Component@Vst@Steinberg@@QAE@XZ)

and

2>vst3stdsdk.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol “public: virtual void __thiscall Steinberg::FObject::addDependent(class Steinberg::IDependent *)” (?addDependent@FObject@Steinberg@@UAEXPAVIDependent@2@@Z)

54 in total. I am kinda new to C/C++ and google didn’t give me working solutions to this problem. But it seems like there are others with similar problems, some complain that there’s no useful documentation available. The latter point I share as well… Does anyone know how to fix this?

I’m also looking for some beginner-level help, and am having the same exact errors you describe.
I am using the RackAFX API, and attempting to use the make vst functionality to export to .vst format.
If you’ve figured out anything about these errors, I’d be grateful to know.

The terragon audio website you are referencing here is for VST2 plugins, not VST3 plugins.

In addition, there is a video on the main page of the RackAFX website that details how to create VST3 plugins with the VST3 SDK, showing all the steps necessary. You should also direct RackAFX questions to that website, and not this forum.

• Will

I tried to follow the steps in the video, but many steps were not clear… I have the files in the correct location in the hierarchy, but still got lots of errors, all of them missing links to Steinberg libraries…