Beginners trouble

Hello,
I have 3 keyboards attached to cubase artist through a ur44c when i try to play a plug in instrument the 3 keyboards sounds are included in the sound of the plug in instrument. What setting am i missing?

It sounds like you have the keyboards MIDI in series, and they are all on the same channel, and you are using one of them as the MIDI controller.

Could you describe your configuration? What cables are plugged in where?

Also, if I am correct, the next step is going to be to either change how the keyboards are plugged or understanding the MIDI setup in each keyboard system.

The hardware solution is having more MIDI Ports, one for each.

The configuration solution is to use different MIDI Channels for each of the keyboards.

To be honest, the configuration solution is really the best, but it does require you to learn how to setup the MIDI on each keyboard. Once you do, there are many more interesting ways you can configure your system.

I won’t go into everything just yet.

What cables are plugged in where?
What are these 3 Keyboards?
What Tracks are you using in Cubase, and how are they configured?

Most keyboards also have a MIDI “Local” option, which you are best to disable when controlling a plugin - it will stop the internal sounds of the keyboard from sounding.

Perhaps this is the issue you have?

1 Like

Hi,
I have a korg triton extreme left and right output going into ur44c ports 1 and 2
the second is a korg radias left and right output going into ur44c ports 3 and 4
Third one is a Yamaha an1x left and right outputs going into ur44c port 5 and 6
and Finaly an m-audio midi controler keyboard connected via usb on my computer.
I just tried to use cubase artist loading one virtual instrument and al the keyboards sounded while i was playing the M-audio. As i’m a newbie i suppose i have to change the midi channels on my keyboards. I’ll try the solution from Skijumptoes one of these days.
Grtz

From what you have written here, I don’t think MIDI Local option is your issue.

The MIDI connections are most crucial in your setup. How do the 3 keyboards and M-Audio controller connect their MIDI?

A virtual instrument track shouldn’t be sending out MIDI information to your three keyboards, so I would imagine that you are somehow directly connected via MIDI from the M-Audio to your other keyboards?

i.e. with Cubase closed, do all 3 keyboards sound too?

1 Like

When you provided a list of your cable connections. These are Audio connections. What @skijumptoes is asking is how is the MIDI connected to those keyboards.

The next question is likely to be, what configuration do you have on your tracks as far as MIDI is concerned.

To figure out what is happening, and help you to set up your studio environment to be the most convenient, you will need to provide a list of

1. Audio connections (which you have provided)
  2. MIDI cable connections
  3. USB connections
  4. Cubase track list with input, output and any sends, especially MIDI sends. (It sounds like you just have one track with an instrument on it. Can you take a screen shot of the inspector, with the first dropdown at the top selected, and also the MIDI Sends selected?

MIDI can be routed in many ways, through MIDI cables, USB Cables, (other cables that look lik headphone jacks.) on the computer outside of Cubase, or within Cubase.

It looks like you only have audio going to the ur44c. You will not get the plug-in sounds if the 5-pin MIDI from the keyboards is not connected to the ur44c.

(I apologize in advance if this response is overly simple, but you did say you are a beginner)

The Raidus has USB for MIDI as well as 5-pin

The Triton will only connect MIDI via 5-pin, it has USB, but only for backup and sysx.

The Yamaha AN1x also only has 5-pin. Apparently it is important NOT to plug and unplug MIDI on the AN1x with the power on to the device.
https://usermanual.wiki/Yamaha/AN1xE1.1781957278/view

There could be any number of ways they are connected via MIDI including a MIDI interface, or an internal sound card that has MIDI. There is also the issue of a separate MIDI driver, Virtual MIDI or MIDI app running on the computer. And finally the assignments within Cubase.

I recently spent several hours helping someone who had forgotten they had tried out a separate configuration before the DAW, and had left those settings in place. So I guess I am extra vigilant to think of those possibilities at the moment.

Hi,

I forgot to mention that all the keyboards are connected to the computer from midi to usb

Grtz

“Dit e-mailbericht en alle documenten die ermee verzonden worden, zijn vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend voor gebruik door de persoon of de onderneming waaraan ze geadresseerd zijn. Indien deze e-mail verkeerdelijk bij u terechtkomt, gelieve de afzender te verwittigen en deze bestanden van uw computer te verwijderen.
This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the addressee or unauthorized recipient of this message, any distribution, copying, publication or use of this information for any purpose is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and then delete this message.
Ce message e-mail ainsi que tous les fichiers transmis sont confidentiels et uniquement destinés à l’usage de la personne ou de l’entité à qui ils sont adressés. Si vous avez reçu ce message e-mail par erreur, veuillez en informer l’expéditeur et le supprimer de tout ordinateur.”

How are they connected through USB though?

… and BTW this forum is Google searchable so…
https://www.google.com/search?q=cubase+Beginners+trouble

Yes midi (keyboard) to usb (computer).

Grtz

“Dit e-mailbericht en alle documenten die ermee verzonden worden, zijn vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend voor gebruik door de persoon of de onderneming waaraan ze geadresseerd zijn. Indien deze e-mail verkeerdelijk bij u terechtkomt, gelieve de afzender te verwittigen en deze bestanden van uw computer te verwijderen.
This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the addressee or unauthorized recipient of this message, any distribution, copying, publication or use of this information for any purpose is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and then delete this message.
Ce message e-mail ainsi que tous les fichiers transmis sont confidentiels et uniquement destinés à l’usage de la personne ou de l’entité à qui ils sont adressés. Si vous avez reçu ce message e-mail par erreur, veuillez en informer l’expéditeur et le supprimer de tout ordinateur.”

Presumably, the korg radias is the only one you listed that can do that, (and the controller of course). The rest require a 5-pin connector.

7 here:

Yellow part here:

4 or 6 here:

And again, you confidential statement means nothing on this forum as it is 100% public.