Behavior of "Repeat Item"

Sorry, you’re right. I meant for note input toggle. But how else would you select the chord before duplicating it?

But to loop back around, I’m still failing to see any justification for why Dorico acts this. This change would only make more things easier to do. If you do nothing but hit R the functionality would work exactly the same way it does today.

I don’t want to have to select it! I’m entering notes. In input mode. The chord I’m working with is the chord I just entered.

But a chord won’t be selected unless it was entered in one shot, via MIDI. Otherwise, only one note will be selected.

R duplicates exactly what was selected. Pitches, Durations, articulations, everything. That’s what I’m used to, and that’s what I want. I don’t want it to change.

R is meant to be used outside of note input, typically.

I’m just a user. I have no authority and can’t speak for the team. As I said, I miss a couple things about note input in Finale (some big ones), but Dorico is way better for me, overall.

Well, why is it in the Note Input section of the keybindings? That seems to imply to me that it is intended to be used in note input.

To input a triplet using the popover, get into note input mode by pressing return or double-clicking, then type the following:

;
Press Enter (or Return)
(Letters of pitches, however many as you want)
Shift semicolon to end the triplet entries.

Yes, I’m award. What I’m saying is that since probably 80% of the time I’m doing this I want a 3:2 triplet I’d rather plain ; just immediately give me that, and something like Ctrl-; give the current behavior. Saves 3 keystrokes in the most common case and only adds one in the minority case.

Tyler: I don’t know why it’s where it is on the list. I’m just telling you what I think is the most effective way to use it.

No one here is going to be offended if you start a thread by saying “Why can’t Dorico do X more like Sibelius does?” But you have to admit; it’s kind of a non-starter. I mean, here we all are, happily using Dorico. I’d say:

1. Make sure you know exactly what the best usage is, and
  2. Give that workflow a chance to grow on you.

I’m not sure what else to say. The R functionality is what it is! I do hope you’re able to acclimate successfully to it. Best regards.

Last chip in to say I’d like this as well!

Actually to say that you were aware… :confused: I was explaining to you how to do it because you were having trouble. You said the popover was always empty and that you had to click on an existing note to make it work (which meant a lot of clicks, etc.)

I believe Dan forgot to say to type a “3” (and press Return) - this will take that empty popover and give it the information it needs.

I know you want to avoid using the mouse while also limit keystrokes, so perhaps a less painful way of entering triplets for you (which uses a mouse click) is to get in note entry, click the tuplet icon on the left and type your notes in.

Other than that, I have nothing more to add except that some users have used macro programs or defined their own shortcut to get a single key triplet functionality.

I would advise you not to get too caught up in trying to get Dorico to behave like Sibelius or Finale and also try not to fight the software.

Your comments, suggestions, frustrations, hopes, etc. are always welcome here! Dorico is not perfect, but for me, it is so much better than Sibelius or Finale, and if there are some aspects that are quicker or easier in the other programs, the time I save in total working in Dorico is astonishing. YMMV, or may change over time as you get used to Dorico.