Best approach for 2 versions/layouts of a score?

I have an orchestral score which I would like to prep in both landscape and portrait orientations (portrait is for printing on traditional paper, landscape is for YouTube display where width is king). Is there any best way to do this in Dorico?

I know I can duplicate the file, and make the relevant changes in each separate file, but if I do that, then any changes made to one file won’t propagate to the other.

Is there a different or better way to handle this in Dorico?

1 Like

Good heavens—don’t duplicate the file! Just create a second layout in setup mode. Have one be portrait, and the other full score layout as landscape. It’s honestly that simple. This is one of the areas where Dorico really is king.

3 Likes

You can duplicate the score layout, then change the orientation etc … Right click the laout in setup mode and choose “Duplicate layout”

2 Likes

Knock yourself out. :grinning:
orchOnlineTemplate220430.dorico (784.2 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks all. Probably a dumb question, but when I go to duplicate a layout, it’s grayed out. So I must be missing something. What’s the key to being able to duplicate my full score?

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 11.26.11 AM

Not at the computers atm. But it could be that scores are not admissible. However, try to change the default layout in Layout properties>Page setup to “Part”. Then duplicate and change back to score.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about duplicating specifically, because you’re not going to want the same system breaks and other things anyway. Just make a new score layout.

3 Likes

Great, thanks all. I’ve got the new layout created and am able to change its orientation and tweak its unique aspects (layout/page breaks/etc.)

I do wish I could rename the layout so it would be more clear to me across the other tabs (right now both are named “Full Score”) but I can live with this. Thanks for all the advice.

I realize that the matter is solved, but being on the computer now, I can tell you that duplication of scores work on my system without a workaround, so it likely was a version issue in your case. Just FYI

2 Likes

You can. In setup mode, double click on it and name it whatever you want!

3 Likes

In Setup mode, on the right side where the Layouts are, at the bottom is the option to create a new Full Score (it will probably appear at the bottom of the Parts Layouts). Rename this by double-clicking the title of the Layout (maybe to Full Score - Landscape), then enter all your layout options for that layout accordingly. Easy-peasy (and a fantastic feature of Dorico – I can create one Full Score with uncondensed instruments, and another with condensing turned on, to see which will serve best. And I don’t have to lose any formatting of the original Full Score to play around).

2 Likes