Best Feature of any DAW: Save New Version

The Save New Version is the best thing that’s ever happened to me, music-wise in the past decade.

I don’t mean this as a back-handed compliment to Cubase. It’s true with any DAW (trust me on this).

The fact there is a simple “Save New Version” in Cubase, without trying to be too fancy (i.e., delta versioning, like in Studio One, etc.), and the fact it’s mappable to physical button that I can press with my left hand while my right hand is mousing around, is single-handedly allowing me to move forward with my music.

Between Cubase crashing, plugins crashing and my over-clocked PC crashing, because ASUS can’t seem make it simple to OC, even with all its attempts at simplifying over-clocking. (My next MB may not be an ASUS). I have an equally taxed ASROCK that doesn’t seem to blue-sceen, despite is terrible UEFI.

But I digress.

Computers, DAWs and all the moving parts exceed the most complex “sequencer,” multi-track tape machine, SMTPE sync, and racks of external gear, I ever had in the 80’s and 90’s.

Thank you for “Save New Version.”

I have Save New Version mapped to F3 on a backlit, Steinberg CMC AI controller. F4 mapped to Mixdown. Simple.

The fact the music keeps playing while saving in the background, is not lost on me. Again, thank you, Steinberg. It means a lot. Saving shouldn’t come with any penalty.

If this feature ever goes away, I’m going back to 4-track demos using a drum machine and a keyboard.

+1.

Save New Version has been around forever. :sunglasses:

Like you , Jeff… :laughing:

Dude - you are older than me, so keep talking. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Even in other DAW’s :confused: :question:

Hi

Have a touch button on my AVID CONTROL for this :wink:
(EUCON has most of the functions already available for allocation to the gear…)

Cheers

Somehow, I’ve only recently taken a shine to letting the DAW do the “versioning.”

I was on Cubase years ago (the 90’s and again in early 2000’s), but switched to Logic and then Studio One within recent years (and am now on Cubase again).

I think what put me off from it lately was Studio One’s weird implementation where they try to be too smart of their own good. It does too much, by encapsulating the version in the file, itself.

Sorry, Studio One, that’s not a new version.

While it may, technically, be a more proper database-style “versioning” it’s not a new version of the file.

It completely defeats the purpose, in my opinion (if avoiding file corruption is a goal).

So, thanks for doing it old school and simpler, Cubase.

Young kids, what ya gonna do with 'em ? :unamused: :laughing:

Youth is wasted on the young. :wink:

Save New Version is indeed a handy feature. :sunglasses: