Best guitarist ever?

Another Brit showing the world how it’s done. :laughing:

yeah, fantastic music, which is sort of the point … but he makes it look so easy. :laughing:
he also make the best possible use of the guitar to make noises with fewer or even more notes.
He plays hi and lo and everywhere in between, slow and fast, and it’s always sounds like … music!
He plays a lot of styles with the same ultra precision just like blowing the nose.
He also makes those amazing guitar videos where he just talks about music and guitar playing.
It’s like a revelation from a guru from another planet :open_mouth: :sunglasses:
Let’s just say that he knows what he’s doing.
Guthrie Govan is a one of a kind musician!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Guthrie is great … that is all.

My goodness, I’d never heard of him. Wow. Thanks.

OK. I will give you that he IS awesome. But, as Steve already said, I didn’t see anything that Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, or Van Halen didn’t already do 15 years ago. :smiley:
Sincerely,
J.L.

Guthrie is instantly recognisable - even when he’s doing his “in the style of” stuff. Vai, Holdsworth, Satriani, Beck - all cut from the same cloth, their brains wired by the same celestial technician! :sunglasses: Satriani called Guthrie the best guitarist in the world. Praise indeed.

If you watch enough of Guthrie you’ll realise there’s no-one, past or present, to touch him.

Fair enough. This is the first I have seen or heard him so, of course, I am “under-educated” about him. Regardless, thanks for sharing! :smiley:
Sincerely,
J.L.

Incredible! :open_mouth:
He makes it look so easy…

Yes, he makes it look easy. As did Django Reinhardt. Both totally different players. Both great.

Neither have I. But I’m going to go get some of his stuff if I can find it.

He’s very good but this is a bit extreme don’t you think?

Eddie, Steve Vai, Satch, Eric Johnson, Brad Gillis even - none of these touch Guthrie? I’d beg to differ. Are they as good as Guthrie? After watching only 5m of him I’d say he’s better than them but not by much.

He’s a regular in Guitar Technique. There’s 10 guys in just that magazine that are his equal. That’s not a put down, it’s just that there are actually a ton of people that can play their instruments to incredible heights. There’s Shawn Baxter that can shred like crazy, and Dave Kilminster is just amazing. I believe Kilminster plays in Roger Waters band.

But, there are waiters in LA that can play like that. There are guys sitting in music stores all over the place in god forsaken corners of the globe that can play like crazy, but they just never did or will do whatever gets them in the public eye. I’ve seen more than a few.

All the “this guy is the best ever” is silly IMO. Go to a major Flamenco competition sometime. YIKES!!

Sounds good, but who’s to say who’s the best ever at anything? Especially in the ever-changing field of music?

Best ever is impossible to say. But best I’ve ever heard? I’ll go with that. :wink:

Aloha guys.

Excellent excellent work for sure.

IMHO
God makes some incredible creations and I am sooo
glad to be able to experience some of them.

But my all time fav is Commander Spock jamming with
space hippies on that Vulcan instrument
in the 1st Star Trek television series.

{‘-’}

curteye

But my all time fav is Commander Spock jamming with space hippies on that Vulcan instrument in the 1st Star Trek television series.

You know, I think you’re right mate. Forgot about that… :sunglasses: …and I agree with your comment about God’s incredible creations and being privileged to experience them.

Ive been saying for years that THIS generation, whilst swamped with guitar players, has been lacking its true and great guitar heroes. There’s not really even been many contenders. I guess here we have one.

Is he the best ever??? For me not really. though id happily be wrong on that,… Depends what he does and what material he comes out with.

For me hes not even half the player Hendrix was. Reminded me slightly of some of the tracks Jeff Beck has been coming out with in recent years (Links below). I mean thats damn good to be compared to, but its not original. I think if the guy was the best ever we wouldn’t be comparing him to anyone. Not like we are anyway.

That’s some pretty impressive playing for sure. Awesome technique. I still don’t think he has anything on this guy, though :mrgreen:

Some more?

Best or greatest? I think at least greatness requires easy identification of style as in Jimi Hendrix, you could instantly recognise his style, Jeff Beck being another and there are/have been others. Not too many players around like that now, but lot of fancy stuff to be sure…

Mauri.