Best guitarist ever?

silly thing to compare art in any shape or form.
could Django Reinhardt play in Dream Theater?
Could Joe Pass write Little Wing?
Who is the fastest of David Gilmore and BB King?
Who has had the most impact: Herman Li or Pat Metheny
What would Picasso play the best, Eruption of Spanish fly?

Off topic! :mrgreen:

y’know what,… this first clip you selected where he mimics the greats. Well I have to admit that in terms of replicating the greats, he sure is great at it. Its just really cool to listen and in places like where he does B B king, it just makes you smile cos he gets it spot on. you instantly know who hes playing like. Same for The Edge. That aside this whole jam works and works really well.

I think whatever material this guys gonna come out with, its sure played bloody well. Respect is due. Im so glad this thread has put me on to this guy cos im really enjoying his playing. OF this current generation of players, hes up there for sure.

yeah, right on the nerve for each guitarist like "ouch! :astonished: " but " heeeey! :sunglasses: " almost creepy! Parroting is normally not my cup of tea but it’s such a long row and it’s so spot on so he’ll get some extra points for that, nevertheless. :laughing:

Yeah, this guys really something. I’ll have to check out more of his stuff. I wonder - does he write well?
About the parroting - what’s amazing is that he isn’t copying any particlar solo from the greats. Instead, he’s playing
his own licks in the general style and technique of these players - and that’s harder to do than simply learning
a solo and copying it exactly.
Victor Wooten did this on one of his solo abums. He wrote a song saluting his heros and influences, and did
his own licks just as Jaco, Stanley, Bootsy etc. would play them.

It’s interesting that Guthrie ended this bit in the Hendrix style(and seemed to stay there the longest) - perhaps that’s his special nod to Jimi as being the ‘end all’. :sunglasses:

As for the ‘Best Ever’ comments, I think some people get too worked up about these kind of claims. It’s simply Hype.
Hype and Rock and Roll have always gone hand in hand. It’s Show Biz! Most of us know that this stuff is all very subjective - that one mans trash is another man’s treasure. And of course, the thread title did get a lot of folks
to join this thread. :sunglasses:

Lenny Lee said

the thread title did get a lot of folks to join this thread. > :sunglasses:

I originally entitled the topic “Another Brit showing the world how it’s done” and there were three views and one reply over a couple of days :laughing: When I changed the title to “Best guitarist ever?” it seemed to attract more attention. Maybe the “Brit” word put people off, but whatever the reason it shows what a difference the title can make to forum response!

I knew I was being slightly provocative with both titles and agree with comments that the word “best” is not the “best” word to use. There are so many great “WOW” moments - I remember a George Harrison slide solo - involving maybe half-a-dozen notes - making my spine tingle. One of many examples. I’ve never been a fan of shred for shred’s sake or even a believer that fast = good, but Guthrie puts so much music into what he does even when his individual notes last only a couple of milliseconds.

His debut CD was “Erotic Cakes”. He’s recorded with Tal Wilkenfield who is an AMAZING female bassist, who has also gigged with Jeff Beck. Magic! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC02wGj5gPw

Lol,… I posted exactly the same link earlier in the thread. Great minds think alike i guess.

That’s one hell of a combo though. that girl is a whole bundle of talent. I just have to check this out. There’s just something about this guys playing that, for me, asks questions. Can he pull off a good album?? Will his tracks work as songs or just be show boating??? How good is he?? Im not even sure what kinda style he plays ive seen so much variation. Questions, that i just have to find the answer to.

This is cool S>H>I>T

Perhaps that’s because many here are interested in discussing
The talents of an outstanding musician - but not so interested
In nationalistic chest beating. :laughing:

Thanks for that. (and to you, too, godfodder) :sunglasses:
Yeah, Tal is amazing, and inspiring to see onstage, because she
looks like she’s always having such a good time.
I’ve only seen her at the Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott’s show.
I LOVE that tasty solo she does on ‘Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers’.
I’m interested to hear more of what both of these artists
have to offer. Thanks for this thread!
LL

In the parroting video, who is the guy right after Malmsteen and before (I think) Zak Wilde?
J.L.

Paul Gilbert, another scary guy!!! He also knows LOTS more than just shredding.

Oh yea. Mr. Big and Racer X, etc. I knew of him, just never seen a picture.
J.L.

Extraordinary skill set - most of which is well beyond my comprehension :open_mouth:
But I have to confess I find it a tad exhausting to listen to after a while… :confused:

Funny, I saw the original thread title and read in to realize that you were talking about a guitarist , I refused to look at the clip. I still haven’t. “Best guitarist ever” isn’t much better either.

I fully realize that its just me.

MrM

I fully realize that its just me.

Aren’t you just a little bit curious? Come on - you know you want to see what everyone’s talking about?? :laughing:

Oh - he’s heard it alright. Several times. Mr M is obviously one of those keyboard players with guitar envy.
He says he refused to watch it, but I’ll bet he’s seen it - and with copious use of the rewind button. :blush:

ok…I’ll get me coat. :laughing:

Guthrie is one of those technically gifted guitar players that makes you think about quitting playing (out of frustration), even if you’re a keyboardist … maybe ESPECIALLY if you’re a keyboardist. :wink:

I’m a guitar player and I haven’t looked yet. I’m sure I will at some point.

Exactly :sunglasses:

I agree - still, Guthrie IS the best ever. I’m sure he’d soon blow away all the flamenco players if he felt so inclined. What’s the matter guys? Is the “Not Invented Here” syndrome starting to bite? :laughing: