best method for layering - whats your view

hello, we can use midi/ instruments tracks to have the same instance of data played by different vst sametine.

1. same instance just change channel 2. midi send but need 3 instance opened. 3. opn 3 instances arm thm n record.

whats your view?

I’d go for#3. Three Instrument Tracks all receiving at once–you’d get more control over the mix in the audio realm, without danger of MIDI-weirdness.

4 . MIDI Sends + Rack Instruments :smiley:

+1 to xbitz. That’ll work great too

I like to use Ghost Parts (these are parts which contain exactly the same data, and edit one the others change). I then put them on separate tracks which go to separate VSTs or Multi-channel VSTs (I’m not careful which TBH, even rack or track, whichever grabs me on the day!). An advantage of ghost copies and different tracks is that you get extra control, e.g. transpose, midi time advance/delay, which can be useful for different instruments (especially transpose).

Of course, this doesn’t work live! So for live I arm all tracks, record, then delete all but one and ghost copy across.

I never use sends because they’re almost completely hidden so you don’t get a quick ‘edit’ button or quick access to the VSTi. I prefer to ‘see’ my VSTs with a midi track or two clearly in the project.

Mike.

Depends… what is it you’re trying to achieve?

1. A single track with MIDI data allows one to play live or to only focus on the notes while experimenting with different sounds. The SEND function would work best here, sending to different channels and muting or tweaking VSTi’s as required.

2. Several copies of channels, each to its own VSTi is powerful in that, as mentioned, one is able to tweak the midi data as well as the instrument.

• also all CC data is split nicely per track.

There’s no right or best, just what’s best for your goal… you do have a goal right? :sunglasses: