Best processor choice for Dorico? Multi cores? AMD Ryzen?

Hi!

I’m about to assemble a new computer for use with Dorico.

What would you guys say is the best processor for Dorico today?
Does Dorico take advantage of multi core processors?
Anyone tried Dorico with AMD Ryzen processors?

Best! / Jonas

We haven’t done any specific testing on AMD Ryzen processors, but I wouldn’t anticipate any problems. The Cubase audio engine is optimised specifically for Intel CPUs, but I don’t think that necessarily means performance will be poor on AMD CPUs.

Go for the processor with the largest number of real cores you can afford. Hyper-threading/virtual cores are fine, but from what my colleagues tell me, the real-world performance of dedicated cores is better.

Thank you, Daniel!

I have a new Ryzen system and it has stability problems. Random hanging and reboots. Proceed with caution.

Thanx, Craig! Problems only with Dorico?

No, happens even with an idle system. Do a Google search for Ryzen random reboots. The problem is widespread.

Hi,
Which is the best processor for the Dorico 3 today? Ryzen 3700x, 3900x or I9 9900K ? Are the problems (random reboots etc.) continue to exist with regard to Ryzen processors since the last responses?
Sorry for my english… :slight_smile:

Thank you for the answers in advance! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum, Roodkop. There have been no specific developments with regard to compatibility with Ryzen processors since this thread was last active.

For the record, I’m running an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x on a new computer, and Dorico is screaming fast.

I had to look up Ryzen to see what it was. Who makes this new computer, Dan? I’m guessing you did not add it to the Dell listen in your signature.

My desktop is a self-built PC using a i9-9900K CPU and 64 gigs of RAM. The OS and all programs (including Dorico) are on a NVMe M.2 drive. My GPU (Nvidia GeForce GTX 970) and DAC (Simaudio Moon) are both kind of old at this point, but Dorico is super fast and I don’t really experience any lags with anything. Some photo and video editing tasks in Photoshop and Premiere obviously still take some time, and boost the CPU temperature (I’m using a Corsair liquid cooling system), but nothing I’ve ever done in Dorico increases the temp or fan speed. It’s probably way more chip than needed, but Dorico is definitely very fast with the i9-9900K.

Quite right. A home build by a friend. I’ll update my profile.

I was able to solve the problem by disabling the low power states in the BIOS. I don’t know if newer Ryzens have any issues.

I have an AMD FX 8-core processor with Windows 10 Pro, Soundblaster Sound Card, NVIDIA high-end graphics, and 32MB of memory. It handles Dorico quite well for the most part. Definitely multi-core environments are a must.

Did anybody make any observations yet regarding single core performance? Most audio processes are sequential and not parallel and require rather a high single core performance than many cores, not sure however how Dorico handles this.

Dorico’s major issues are layout/formatting, not audio.

Which doesn’t exclude it from the possibility that in the way it works processes might need to be calculated sequentially rather than parallel. I could for example imagine that in the process of condensing there are not many sub tasks that can be done parallel.

Dear Robin,
There have been multiple posts by Dr Paul Walmsley himself in this forum, he’s the one in charge with Play mode, IIRC, and has been quite informative about the needs for sequential as well as paralleled calculations in Dorico – which operations require cores, which ones require raw power. Maybe a search would bring some solid information here. (Steinberg Forums)

Thank You for the answers for everybody
R.