Best remote control for WL7 ?

I’m guessing the CMC & CC121 have some of the tightest integration but they are very CUbase-centric, and it’s hard to even see what some of the CMC boxes would do in Wavelab.

So, what are people here using to control Wavelab ? I’m mainly looking for transport, zoom & plugin operation.

Good question …

I have a Mackie MCU Pro and a couple of the little CMC units which work great with Cubase. They certainly don’t work out of the box with WL … the Play button on the Transport CMC works … but thats it.

To be honest I can’t be bothered digging into WL to see if there’s way to map things. The current UI drives me crazy, though it’s the best app for a big project I’m doing currently. However I had to develop a workflow through WL for it which doesn’t make a lick of sense and it irritates me every ‘cycle’ of content I complete.

I’d like the Transport CMC to work in WL … there’s some nice navigation controls on it ( touch strip for scrubbing? ) and it sits so nicely on my desk. I’d like to be able to switch playback modes using the remotes too … add markers… there’s lots of functionality IMO.

Maybe some of the CMC units don’t translate ( channel controller, drum pads ) but I think the Quick Controller knobs and buttons could be very useful if WL supported them.

Before anyone shoots me down about keyboard shortcuts … yes I know it’s all in there for WL … but I’m spend my time in dozens of media apps and I don’t want to waste any of my limited brain power trying to recall key combinations. I want to focus on the content … and enjoy working. Thats where software ecosystems really get powerful. When different tools are consistent its magic. And hardware controllers really help in that respect.

Best

You’re saying that WL doesn’t already come with support for Steinberg’s own products !??! That’s crazy. I thought the last update includes new remote control features and out-of-the-box support for CMC.

WaveLab 7.2.1 has direct support for CC121 and CMC modules.

Thanks PG - but I can’t find any document anywhere that says exactly what functions in Wavelab these products control ? Everything I find is about Cubase and nothing about Wavelab integration. Can I load the remote control map in Wavelab without having installed a CMC, because I couldn’t find a way of doing that: at least then I’d be able to see which buttons were connected to which WL functions.

Can I load the remote control map in Wavelab without having installed a CMC, because I couldn’t find a way of doing that: at least then I’d be able to see which buttons were connected to which WL functions.

You can’t, as the map is loaded automatically according to the detected device, but what you can do, is to visualize all the parameters that you can control, from the Remote Control editor. Select any MIDI input (as far as you have at least one), then click on the Edit map button.