Best screen resolution for MixConsole (Cubase 7.0.3)

Hi,

Just wonder, what resolution will be optimum for new MixConsole in Cubase 7? Now I have two oldest BENQ 20.1" LCD monitors at 1680 x 1050 (16:10). It seems to be too small and too low resolution for little text, symbols, etc. Could you advice better option ? Is it enough one monitor 27" 1920x1080 (16x9). Maybe more pixels in vertical resolution ? Or maybe two LCD 24" ? What models are you using ?

Sometime I’m going crazy to look at two monitors, doing everything at once. Maybe better will be one LCD, stright ahead on my eyes? And diffirent workflow then now I do - first arranging, then mixing.

What is your setup ?

Thanks.

Hi, my previous setup was 2 x 19 inch with 1280x1024 pixels eq 2560 x 1024, now I work with 1 27 inch 2560 x 1440 resolution. This is the finest ever yet! Maybee in the foreseen future Ultra HD screens with +3800 pixels x +2000 pixles wow!

Thanks for info. What is manufacter and model of your actual LCD monitor ?

Dell u2713h ips panel monitor, inthe netherlands it cost between 550 till 600 euros.

Hi,

Thank you for help. Just bought same LCD monitor. Tomorrow will check.

Hi Serenity,

how do you find the monitor? Do you think it’s good for a lot of editing work?

Thanks

I’m not Serenity but I have the Dell U2713HM @ 2560x1440. It is absolutely fantastic and one of the best screens I’ve seen to date. It is also one of the most energy efficient monitors out there. In Windows I’ve set it to “Normal (125%)”.

I occasionally also use an extra monitor, an older but still very good Acer AL 2051W. Both are driven by the onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000 from the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE MB.

I currently use two Dell 30" 3008 monitors, one fullscreen for the main Cubase screen, but use a couple of Dell 23.5" 1920x1080 ST2340T touchscreens, one for a MixConsole fullscreen and the other for being able to touch other windows, including a small MixConsole with just the input channels.

At some point soon, I will go for a 4K/UHD TV/monitor, preferably about 50" (like the upcoming Sony 49X850B/49X8500B), and will still use it for the main Cubase window and the MixConsole will stay on the touchscreen.

The main reason I want to use a 4K screen is for clean up using iZotope’s RX3 with its time verses frequency display, and more pixels (twice as many as the 30") means less zooming.

We only have a handful of tracks, so we are not really needing much screen space for the mixer, but if one has lots of tracks, it is possible to link MixConsoles together so the mixer flows between them, rather than having to scroll, or just get a Dell U2913WM 2560x1080 as a second monitor to hold a MixConsole fullscreen, and mount it under your main screen.