Best video/tutorial on 'Project Info' (to help make changes to Scoring Express template)

Of interest to many, I’m sure…

Leo, I just bought the Scoring Express Theater/Studio template collection, as I have that set for Sibelius and I love the settings that can also be applied to all other types of scores.
Nice work!

I need to ‘wrap my brain’ around ‘Project Info’, tokens, parts vs score tokens, flows vs main score, etc. etc…

Also, how to safely delete some tokens/text safely that aren’t needed for certain types of music scores without messing anything up. (… for example, how do I get rid of the ‘box’ for handwriting in cue info. Am having trouble tracking that down.)

Can you suggest any great videos/tutorials that can be watched in addition to reading the Dorico manual?

Thanks!

Apologies for a) the slow reply and b) it not being (even) fuller; things are busy here. I think rather than try to wade through tutorials (and there are wonderful ones on the official Dorico YouTube channel), I might just have a go at addressing your questions below:

I’ll start with the Cue thing, as that’s quite easy. If you select it in Write mode, you’ll see that it’s actually just a piece of System Text attached to bar 1 of the music.

In Write mode you can delete it.

If you look at the right panel of Engrave mode, you’ll see that each Scoring Express Template (or, in fact, any Dorico project) utilises multiple sets of Page Templates.

In this case, one set of templates is used for Full Scores, another for Parts, another for Piano Vocal and Piano Conductor Scores and another for Braced Parts (keyboards etc.).

Page Template sets typically contain just a First Page Template (used for the First Page of the layout) and a Default Page Template (used for all other pages within the layout). We’ve included a Blank Page Template, too, which can be manually brought in if you need a blank page somewhere to ease page turns.

If you double-click on an individual Page Template, still in that bottom right corner of Engrave mode, it’ll open in the Page Template Editor - you should see something like this:

Frames with green outlines are Text Frames. Frames with blue outlines are Music Frames. Entire Frames can be resized or deleted (or added), and their contents can be tweaked as necessary. Any text that starts and finishes {@ and @} is a Token, referencing something in the Project Info dialog. I think in most cases, if you go to Project Info (Cmd/Ctrl-I) and clear the relevant token, nothing will actually appear on the page. The obvious exception is the {@flowCompositionYear@} token under the Flow Title (we’re using this in place of a dedicated token for Revision Date), which has square brackets around it (just as that’s a convention we saw frequently when researching existing musical theater publications. To get rid of this you could either just delete the square brackets, or if you’re not going to use a revision date at all you could safely delete that whole line.

The other thing you may not need is the {@FlowWorkNumber@}, which is shown in a square to the right of the title. That’s a Text Frame that has a border - the border is a property of the frame, not the text within - so to remove that you’d want to select any edge of the text frame and hit delete or backspace.

Note that Page Templates in Dorico always have a left variant and a right variant. Note also that in most printed publications, the first page is a right page. Therefore in a situation like the one below, where I’ve deleted the {@FlowWorkNumber@} frame from the left page template, I’d most definitely need to either manually delete the same Frame from the right page template or use the Copy Left to Right button above to have Dorico do that for me.

If you’re working with scores and parts, you’ll need to make these changes in each set of Page Templates that’s utilised.

Tokens are a bit of a difficult thing to explain, but I’ll have a go:
When I built these templates, the thinking was that in most cases people in MT and Studio environments keep one file per song/cue. Look at any of the screenshots above and you’ll see that the token in the top right corner, for Show Title uses the Project Title token, found here:

All of the other tokens use reference the Flow tokens, so in a project containing only a single flow (song), that’s the fields listed in Project Info alongside Flow 1 (or whatever Flow 1’s been renamed as).

As a kind of safety I put in placeholders in the Flow Tokens that reference the Project Tokens, meaning that, with the exception of the Show Title, it doesn’t actually matter which set of fields you update in Project Info:

The Flow tokens on the Page Templates mean that if you want to house multiple flows within the same Dorico project, you can, and they’ll all be named correctly on the page.

Where this all goes horribly wrong (and I’ll tag @dspreadbury as I’d love to know how better to deal with this) is if you start a project from the Hub > Choose A Template > Scoring Express.

If you do tick the Project Uses Multiple Flows box highlighted above, you get my exact templates but with a redundant Flow Heading shown (below the main title).

If you don’t tick the Project Uses Multiple Flows box, you get the Project Title in place of the Flow Title (and I think possible Project tokens rather than Flow tokens at the very bottom of the page, too):

At the moment all I can really recommend is that you don’t use the Hub. Instead, use File > New from Project Template > Scoring Express…

4 Likes

Wow!..this is the best tutorial/explanation I’ve seen! (… and your Scoring Express templates are just great to have.) You get right to the point.

Thank you very much. I haven’t delved into a lot of ‘token customizing’ for the bulk of my projects, so this is fantastic to have. Being a ‘come-back-to-Dorico’ user, this tutorial you created is just perfect.

I’m using your SE template and resetting some aspects of it to use for a Concert Band commission, and don’t need all the included tokens for ‘cues’, ‘knu box’, ‘orchestration by’, etc. etc.

This project is getting me to really know my way around Dorico, and I find that the speed of being able to compose in the program is second nature once the working template is all set up and ready to go. Making adjustments, adding players, and setting up my score all looks great thanks to your templates and the ‘behind the scenes’ adjustments to all the engraving/notation/layout work you’ve implemented.

Many thanks for whipping up this tutorial. (…think I’ll definitely get your video series from Scoring Express in order to really get up to speed).

Oh yeah!..you should make this a featured, bookmarked Dorico tutorial!