Best way to humanize quantized MIDI

You do realize that there are folks out there with physical disabilities that preclude being able to play music real time? Yet these same folks might have excellent compositional skills. Tools like Cubase are a godsend for them because it allows them get there via different means. Of course they also have to put up with a judgmental know it all from time to time :unamused:

Where is the Thumb up button ? Grrrr… :mrgreen:

I’m going to keep preciously what has been said until now in this thread : very useful tips concerning the humanizing/randomization aspects of Cubase. Thanks, gents…

This is nonsense.

OK maybe the paint by numbers is a bad analogy, but I hate quantize, and never use either that or autotune. Music/life should not be mathematically perfect. To do so is to remove important feel from the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT4fFolyZYU&t=5s

Your statement shows you don’t understand the context. I am essentially de-quantizing MIDI material, not quantizing a performance.
Different process.

I work with notation and have hundreds of transcriptions as well as over a thousand orchestrated sketches.
I have gone through the process of playing all the parts in one-by-one on some pieces, and the result is very nice, but I simply do not have the time to do that with every last part. I may do that for quartets, but many orchestrations have 10-30 parts going on. Instead I export the notation from my notation programs and import them into Cubase. They already have crude velocity levels and note length at this point and with a few adjustments from the Logical Editor most parts are very useable.

Yes I understand about dequantizing, but it still can never achieve the feel of just being played well by a good musician.

We live in a world where most music is played to a robotic click track, at a constant incessant tempo, and then mathematically locked to a quantize grid and then after all that we try to introduce some feel to the music through mathematical radomisation of the quantise grid etc.

This can never match the musical feel of playing it good in the first place IMO. I’m not talking about sloppyness. I like my music tight. But tight is not the same as mathematically correct. IYCWIM.

Bet there are folks who can, who you’ve heard, liked & never even noticed

I like my music tight. But tight is not the same as mathematically correct. IYCWIM.

Nobody on this thread is talking about “mathematically correct” whatever that might mean.

You should probably save the proselytizing for 21yo yolo DJs who never plan on learning fundamental music skills.

Otherwise, take note that you are on a forum for a tool which specializes in MIDI sequencing. If I want some practice tips I’ll go to the piano world forum or watch some Nahre Sol videos.

Lastly, consider that different people have different objectives from you.

This thread is entitled “Best way to humanize quantized MIDI”.

All I’m saying is I don’t think any HUMANIZING can match a real human. That’s all.

You should probably save the proselytizing for 21yo yolo DJs who never plan on learning fundamental music skills.

Now who’s throwing opinions around…?

Your DJ comment is interesting. I have good friends who are professional DJs. I have no problem with being a DJ, except when the DJ starts to think he is a musician.

DJing is a proper skill, but it is not ‘being a musician’. It is something different. Most musicians can’t do DJing and most DJs can’t be musicians.

But this is another subject.