Best way to manage floating windows in Cubase 12?

I’m throughly enjoying being back and using Cubase, even despite the occassional app crashes.

However, my biggest annoyance is with all the floating windows. I’m forever hunting down plugin windows that have disappeared behind the arrangement window. I’ve assigned a keystroke to show/hide plugins which helps, and also make use of workspaces but that seems better-suited to general mixer/arrangement window layouts rather than managing active plugin windows. Always On Top is a right PITA, so I keep that switched off.

I also find myself having to double-click the ‘e’ button to bring the window to the front, which is annoying.

So, what do you good folk do to manage your windows? Am I missing something obvious?

I do actually prefer have the “always on front” option for plugin windows, i like them to stay on top, and then, as you, I use key strokes for closing them.
But I agree, some of the window handling (at least on Windows, dunno about Mac) behaves weird at times. I just got used to it somehow :grin:
What I do is to have e.g. the mix console and all the editors always maximized on full screen, so the only problem I have once in a while is with the channel editor window, which once in a while decides to become unresponsive until i close and open it…

1 Like

I’d ideally like to see something that consolidates a track’s plugin chain into a single floating window. Studio One does this via a tabbed window, which is a good approach IMO. It’d also be great if it could also change track focus like the Channel Editor does when moving to another track.

1 Like

Yes, that would be cool, and it has been requested here on the forum before.

What kind of monitoring system are you using? I found that having at least 2 video monitors is crucial with Cubase.

I build my monitoring system according to my work flow, generally having the arrange page on one monitor and the mix console on the other. Most of the apps are opened on the mix console screen as I do more work on the arrange screen and need that clear. All the apps, including the channel edit are set to ‘always on top’. When not in immediate use, I drag them down so that just the top of the app is visible, showing the app type. This process keeps the app I’m working on in the open and I drag any other up as needed. Works pretty systematically for me.

I had 2 video monitors that served me well but recently purchased a 49" curved monitor. That gave me a little more room and also made the transition between 2 screens seamless. I can also split into 3 or 4 sections which helps designate crucial areas.